Thread: Linux Program Installations

Linux Program Installations

I am a new linux user who just bought SuSE Linux 9.0 for my laptop. However, I am having problems with installing ANY kind of other linux software. I was told I need to download a kernel for this to work, could someone give me the site and the name of the kernel, pluse very very basic step by step instructions to initialize it into the main modules. Thanx a lot

Mentor

Re:Linux Program Installations

You've been given wrong information.
    The kernel is the core of the operating system. Without a kernel you wouldn't be able to boot linux.
    What software are you having trouble installing, and how are you trying to install it?
    You will not need to install a new kernel.
    CP

Hi,

SuSE uses software in a package called RPM. I'd say try to get the software in a SuSE RPM, and follwo this cheact sheet for using rpm's.
    http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...play&id=35

Or install from scratch. When you decompress the source of the software, there is usually an INSTALL file that will tell you how to install it.

[quote author=trickster link=board=12;threadid=9323;start=0#msg84470 date=1086870723]
    Hi,

SuSE uses software in a package called RPM. I'd say try to get the software in a SuSE RPM, and follwo this cheact sheet for using rpm's.
    http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...play&id=35

Or install from scratch. When you decompress the source of the software, there is usually an INSTALL file that will tell you how to install it.
    [/quote]

If SuSE's anything like Fedora (and I hope it is), you can just double-click on the RPM and it will work.

Does anyone have any experience setting up apt4rpm on SuSE? Apt is one of the most impressive things about linux.

Mentor

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=12;threadid=9323;start=#msg84471 date=1086870929]

If SuSE's anything like Fedora (and I hope it is), you can just double-click on the RPM and it will work.

Does anyone have any experience setting up apt4rpm on SuSE? Apt is one of the most impressive things about linux.
    [/quote]

Yes, double-click will work quite nicely. I'm using apt4rpm on SuSE and it works very well. As a matter of fact, I have less problems using apt on SuSE than I used to have on Debian.

What files are you downloading? rpm? or .tar.gz? most software tar.gz's contain source that you need to compile . May I suggest looking into YAST?

[quote author=cloverm link=board=12;threadid=9323;start=0#msg84472 date=1086878768]

Yes, double-click will work quite nicely. I'm using apt4rpm on SuSE and it works very well. As a matter of fact, I have less problems using apt on SuSE than I used to have on Debian.

[/quote]

uh-oh, u just said the one thing thatll make me try SuSE