Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xandros Open Circulation.

Xandros Open Circulation.

Xandros Desktop OS Open Circulation Edition

The Open Circulation Edition is a limited version of Xandros Desktop OS that can be download at no charge and freely distributed to others. It is strictly for non-commercial use, and no e-mail installation support is included.
    http://www.xandros.com/products/home..._oc_intro.html

Now if only I had a cd burner .....

Re:Xandros Open Circulation.

CD Burning Speed is limited to 4X in the Open Circulation Edition . To remove, this restriction, upgrade to Xandros Desktop OS Standard, Deluxe, or Business Edition.

Mentor

It actually says its limited to the lowest burning speed, so I think that will a little firmware flash that could be overcome.
    All in all, it looks like a pretty good deal though
    Cheers
    CP

Good Guru

From "other resources" I have found that the general XandrOS user community is pretty pissed off at being bent over to get a functional product. In order to update new packages, they have now crippled apt, and made it so only their update service works. But in order to get the latest and greatest, you need to fork over another $40 on top of the price of XandrOS to get the latest revisions! All in all the userland is getting torqued off. Figured I would share that.

See what's really lame about crippling is they can't say it cost money to develop so they want money for it because they are limiting CD BURNING SPEED, it does not cost money to "develop" installing cdrecord, they spent money to cripple it.

Now if they don't include some non-GPL software that /they/ made, fine fair enough. But if they are going to go out of their way to cripple an existing product that's just lame.

The OCE still has full access to the standard Xandros network and Debian unsupported sources. It uses Opera (add-sponsered) as the default browser, but it's easy to get Mozilla 1.6 from the Xandros Network. It also does limit CD burning speed, which is an odd thing to do. It is for non-commercial use only. Aside from that, it is the same as the Standard Edition.

Overall, it is a good deal, especially for a basic home user like me who does not even have a CD burner and does not care about constantly adding new software or playing on the bleeding edge. Give me good, solid, tested and proven programs on a solid platform.

I've just installed it yesterday but haven't played around with it yet. I will give it a good going over and see what it's like. So far I like the basic desktop look & feel.

I always wanted to try Xandros and I guess this gives me a pretty good idea, maybe I will buy the full version if I like it enough!

Good Guru

If you dont mind, could you let us all know about how tough it is to override the restrictions?

I hope it is just as simple as rebuilding the package from orginal source.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=9322;start=0#msg84568 date=1087212767]
    If you dont mind, could you let us all know about how tough it is to override the restrictions?

I hope it is just as simple as rebuilding the package from orginal source.
    [/quote]

i doubt that they'll be including a compiler... it would make it too easy to _not_ have to buy the full product

What has Xandros given back... ever..

They feel like very bad open source citizens to me, and I'm not a big fan of their business model.