Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thats it, i quit

thats it, i quit

every computer i touch ends up fuckin up, a day or two ago the family pc is fine, but i wanted to switch cases to use it for an old box i was reassembling, so I took all the parts out and put them in a different case, when i boot the computer the harddrive doesnt boot, i pull it out and it has a bent pin, which i must have done since it has booted fine until i touched it. then im assembling my old box and i boot it and i get no video, no beeps, so i try new memory and then i start getting like 9 or 10 consecutive beeps, dont know what that means though even though i googled it. must be a motherboard problem. before i had switched the other box that i broke the harddrive on and swapped its video card with this other box to try and get video but it didnt do anything. anyway i plug back in the pc with the fucked up harddrive (which i just ran knoppix live cd on for them to have internet) and guess what, no video ha! now that one has no video and no beeps.

[me=burntash]loads a revolver[/me]

Re:thats it, i quit

well after like 10 minutes of unplugging shit and plugging it back into the motherboard the computer finally switched the monitor out of hibernation and into bios and its booting again. *sigh of relief* now if the harddrive will only work : and this other pc needs to learn how to turn its ass on.

Pistol, psh use this:

i pull it out and it has a bent pin
    In most cases you should be able to straighten the pin. But if you're not careful you could break the pin.

I, myself, have noticed a good majority of the time things not working correctly after a major hardware swap. Most of the time reseting the BIOS rectifies the problem. Other times, if a HDD or CD-ROM isn't spinning up, making sure they're on their own power bundle rectifies the problem. i.e., each bundle has 2 or 3 power conncetors. Make sure each device gets it's own bundle. If you have more devices, divy up equaly.

Another problem you may be having with the video is swaping out PCI for AGP or AGP for PCI. In many BIOSes you can select which to display first(if you have more than one vid card installed). In some older BIOSes there is a flaw where if you select AGP when you have a PCI (or PCI when you have AGP), video isn't displayed. You need to reset the BIOS and select the correct setting.

i straightened the pins out as much as i could but it still doesnt recognize the harddrive in bios, but you know whats more fucked up? in knoppix live cd the harddrive was mounted and i was able to burn files off it.

[quote author=burntash link=board=3;threadid=9304;start=0#msg84247 date=1086543238]
    i straightened the pins out as much as i could but it still doesnt recognize the harddrive in bios, but you know whats more fucked up? in knoppix live cd the harddrive was mounted and i was able to burn files off it.
    [/quote]Check to make sure the jumpers are set correct.
    Not sure about your setup but if you have the HDD and CD-ROM on diferent channels make sure the HDD is set to master on the primary channel and the CD-ROM is set to master on the secondary channel. If they are on the same channel, set the HDD as master and the CD-ROM as slave. Some HDD's may have a setting for "master with slave present".

If for some reason your HDD is by itself on the channel and set to slave, some BIOSes will not be able to recognize it. But because the Linux kernel bypasses most, if not all, BIOS settings, it is recognized. The same can be true if both are on the same channel and your HDD has the "master with slave present" setting, which is not set.

the setup is 1 harddrive set as master on primary ide and then 2 cd roms on the secondary ide, master and slave set for them

As for the beeps, your motherboard manufacturer should have a list of each beep sequence and there meaning. On the HDD, did you make sure that pin 1 on the IDE cable is matched with pin one on the motherboard? Is it backwards? Did you try swapping it to the secondary IDE controller to see if the primary is fuct? What able the cable? Just b/c it DID work b4, doesn't always mean it still works. Hope that helps some.

You also can try this Troubleshooting BIOS Beep Codes from pcguide.com.

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/index.htm

It may can help.

You also can try this Troubleshooting BIOS Beep Codes from pcguide.com.
    If you are using a Name Brand system, this may not work. For some reason they don't want to stick with the standard. >