Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

IRC channel - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: IRC channel

Re:IRC channel

[quote author=chb link=board=18;threadid=9302;start=0#msg84227 date=1086510583]
    And when we moved the chan, we weren't really polite :-). I may point to Ralinx here *g*
    [/quote]

at that time Lilo was getting flamed by practically everybody so i doubt he'll even remember. Anyways, the whole fundraising issue is actually a non-issue now anyway... when we left there, he was spamming _everyone_ on the network every couple of hours to beg for money. I don't care if he's running a fundraiser, as long as you don't beg in a continuous loop. Saying that it's a strike against many open source projects is a bit unfounded. Many open source projects have links on their sites for donations. There's nothing wrong with that. Spamming in order to get money however is wrong. That's why many channels left at the time. That was about 2 years ago i think, and by now, most of those channels have gone back to Freenode. I haven't seen Lilo spamming anyone anymore after a lot of channels left there.

about the 'power' issue. Once again i would like to point out that the current channel is owned by people who don't even come here. I don't care who gets the channel operator status, i just think they should at the least have something to do with LJR (and no, skywolf's 9 posts or whatever it is hardly count).

the network issue... Freenode is currently the most advanced and stable network we could use. Like Kernel Killer said, it has no issues with IPV6. Dusk Knight's question of "Must you use IPV6?" is basically like asking "must you use a 1Ghz+ CPU?" because you could also get by on a PIII 500. The answer is: No you don't have to use it, but if you can use it, you sure as hell wanna use it.

As has been pointed out earlier, being on Freenode could actually get some fresh blood in here. If someone requests the channel list on freenode, they'll see the channel names and the topics. We used to have a policy of always referring to http://www.linuxjunior.org in the channel topic and something about it being a place for linux support. If people see that they might check it out. The more people who see it, the more people who might check it out. With the current owners, this is no longer the case. They usually just have a link in there to some moronic video or picture that they find funny.

BTW, welcome back ch-b!

I have to disagree with staying. OFTC does have some real network issues. Freenode still has it's netsplits from time to time, but at least they wait until late at night. As for the Lilo issue, it's blown over completely. DmWaters, another server op is quite reasonable, and they don't ask for $$$ anymore.

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=18;threadid=9302;start=0#msg84230 date=1086512452]
    [quote author=chb link=board=18;threadid=9302;start=0#msg84227 date=1086510583]
    And when we moved the chan, we weren't really polite :-). I may point to Ralinx here *g*
    [/quote]

at that time Lilo was getting flamed by practically everybody so i doubt he'll even remember. Anyways, the whole fundraising issue is actually a non-issue now anyway..
    Yep, true.

Saying that it's a strike against many open source projects is a bit unfounded.
    Don't think so, other open source projects collect funds to keep their projects going - so on an IRC network its for the servers - but the Freenode fundraising is for paying lilo the money he needs to not go on a job practically. So this is a strike against many open source projects in. But thats just what I think of the Founder, the net itself may be better, just my "political" opinion.
    [/quote]

Yeah and hi Kernel_Killer err Master Copy :P

[quote author=Master Copy link=board=18;threadid=9302;start=0#msg84231 date=1086512513]
    BTW, welcome back ch-b!

I have to disagree with staying. OFTC does have some real network issues. Freenode still has it's netsplits from time to time, but at least they wait until late at night. As for the Lilo issue, it's blown over completely. DmWaters, another server op is quite reasonable, and they don't ask for $$$ anymore.
    [/quote]

Actually they do, but in a much nicer way now, when you go to their website, there is a bar that tell you how much money they need to keep the network running - you are free to help out and you aren't getting annoyed.

but no wallop messages, at least I haven't seen one in the time I've been connected, and very few netsplits.

Why not make a poll and let it run for a week?

Make the first post of the poll the pro's and con's of moving or staying (trying to be objective, of course.)

Good Guru

Doable idea. However I dont see any real demand for staying where we are. Its just where we move to.

Just a few things to point out.

The IRC client on the site needs to be changed to point to the new network.

Also, can we -please- have topic protection on the channel? Right now, the topic is changeable by anyone and it gets -really- annoying.

Along with the poll on where to move to, could we have a poll to elect someone to register the channel and have ops?

How about an opless channel? Topic protection would be great. How about a default topic in the channel reg, if that's not how it is anyways.

As for moving, I really don't see the issue since the channel is pretty much dead all the time. At least putting it on Freenode, more will see it.

[quote author=Simply Stuart link=board=18;threadid=9302;start=0#msg84241 date=1086537168]
    Just a few things to point out.

The IRC client on the site needs to be changed to point to the new network.

Also, can we -please- have topic protection on the channel? Right now, the topic is changeable by anyone and it gets -really- annoying.

Along with the poll on where to move to, could we have a poll to elect someone to register the channel and have ops?
    [/quote]

I have enabled topic protection from day one, it says something like "www.linuxjunior.org - Your community Linux site (and IRC channel)"

Gorn, myself, and stuart thought that topic will always be set to something about Linux Junior by gorBot and then if the User wants to change the topic, then he would `!topic foo` and then the topic would be: Welcome to Linux Junior. | foo . SO the Welcome to Linux Junior will never change.