Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

IRC channel - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: IRC channel

Re:IRC channel

I asked in #oftc on OFTC and it turns out they don't support SSL (and ident doesn't seem to work - blah)..

I tried asking on freenode but it's a real pain getting an answer.

ok, explain to me again IN DETAIL why we should switch networks?

[quote author=Holy_Knight link=board=18;threadid=9302;start=30#msg84321 date=1086651801]
    [/quote]

I already explained my reasons for wanting to move to the FreeNode network.

[quote author=Holy_Knight link=board=18;threadid=9302;start=30#msg84321 date=1086651801]
    [/quote]

Code:
    Executive Summary:

- Larger user base.
    - Stable network.
    - Active members oversee/moderate #ljr.
    I think that covers the biggest reasons.

i have never had a single issue with oftc

bigger userbase isn't always better

we could easily change who has control if we stuck to oftc or lehnet

Lets take a look at the size differences:

FreeNode:
    [06:59] --- Current global users: 16092 Max: 18102

OFTC:
    [06:58] --- Current global users: 1882 Max: 2096

LEHNet:
    [07:01] --- Current Global Users: 31 Max: 47

Yes, Freenode is huge and LEHNet is tiny. Now you know how huge/tiny.

I still dont understand, though, how this can benifit us. It didn't benifit us back in the days before we moved to OFTC, and it doesn't seem like it would benifit us now. We might pick up a couple users, but for the most part, people never seem to explore random channels, especially on bigger networks when its harder to find them. The only way is if somebody says something about our channel, but that doesn't happen very often.

Legion of Ethical Hackers is a good network, it has great staff beyond myself, and for the most part is fairly stable. We have had issues from time to time, but nothing that hasn't been fixed fairly quickly. On top of that the staff of the network will work closely with people from LinuxJunior, closer then either of the other networks can or will.

Please, take careful consideration before voting, dont do it because Lovechild, Master Copy, or myself have said what we think, vote for what you think is best. Vote here:
    http://www.linuxjunior.org/yabbse/in...;threadid=9311

I don't mean to be rude or mean, and it is not my intention to insult anyone.

However, it seems to me that, no matter where we go, someone neutral should be the only ops (right away I don't want to be ops, cause i have no time for it.)

I can easily see people being kicked off the channel just because they don't share the opinion of the ops...

[quote author=trickster link=board=18;threadid=9302;start=30#msg84367 date=1086704757]
    However, it seems to me that, no matter where we go, someone neutral should be the only ops (right away I don't want to be ops, cause i have no time for it.)

I can easily see people being kicked off the channel just because they don't share the opinion of the ops...
    [/quote]

having just one channel operator is bad idea because of the timezones... when ch-b and i owned the channel, we selected channel operators who were regularly in the channel for their timezone... since we are from europe, we made sure there was at least one american channel operator for the many hours that we weren't in the channel. i think it would be a good idea to do this for the new channel as well.

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=18;threadid=9302;start=30#msg84380 date=1086708679]
    [quote author=trickster link=board=18;threadid=9302;start=30#msg84367 date=1086704757]

[/quote]

having just one channel operator is bad idea because of the timezones... when ch-b and i owned the channel, we selected channel operators who were regularly in the channel for their timezone... since we are from europe, we made sure there was at least one american channel operator for the many hours that we weren't in the channel. i think it would be a good idea to do this for the new channel as well.
    [/quote]
    That's fine.

Good Guru

Well we can start with the moderators here, and then with the irc loiterers. I am sure that we can have ~4 people that can be available at the particular time in question.