Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Picking an Email server
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking an Email server

Picking an Email server

We currently use MSExchange for our email server. I would like to shift to a Linux server. My first linux server. What Linux compatible email server is recommended for small applications (< 50 users)? Also, will the normal Outlook client programs interact with the Linux version of exchange so that I do not have to change the client side?

Re:Picking an Email server

hello,
    i personally like redhat for my mail server, i have it set up for POP3 access, but it only serves my home network. it can do movemail, imap... i am not sure what ms exchange uses..

Good Guru

I used to work at a joint with an exchange server. They have a proprietary protocol to talk to the clients, but it also does do IMAP. POP3 and the usual. Lookout and Lookout Express can both be reconfigured for a POP or IMAP server

[quote author=Slave Copy link=board=4;threadid=9288;start=0#msg84010 date=1086115381]
    I used to work at a joint with an exchange server. They have a proprietary protocol to talk to the clients, but it also does do IMAP. POP3 and the usual. Lookout and Lookout Express can both be reconfigured for a POP or IMAP server
    [/quote]But what is the Linux application SW that would be the email server application?

[quote author=pbharris link=board=4;threadid=9288;start=0#msg84009 date=1086115023]
    hello,
    i personally like redhat for my mail server, i have it set up for POP3 access, but it only serves my home network. it can do movemail, imap... i am not sure what ms exchange uses..
    [/quote]Is RedHat an application SW specifcally for email?

no, tehre is a package to choose at install time - iir it is imap, on fedora core 2 it is part of the app dovecot

Red Hat is a type of linux.

There are numerous email server software for linux. Sendmail, postfix, etc. I've heard some very good things about postfix.

http://www.postfix.org/

Are you going to be needing other features of exchange (eg, calandering, etc...)?

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=4;threadid=9288;start=0#msg84017 date=1086127929]
    Are you going to be needing other features of exchange (eg, calandering, etc...)?

[/quote]Yes. It would be good to get a direct replacement for the Exchange product, but I am willing to make sacrifices. I am running Exchange 5.5, and need to upgrade to the current version, Server 2003 and then the numerous Virus, firewall, etc....payout...so I am looking for an alternative. I have about 20 clients, but should plan for 50 users.

Since this subject is somewhat complex I'd recommend either:

A) Buying a good book on the subject.
    B) Searching for a good tutorial.
    C) Hire someone to do the work for you. I'm available. *wink wink*

Postfix books:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/postfix/
    http://www.postfix-book.com/ <-Due out soon.

Interesting Postfix tutorials:

http://screamingelectron.org/forum/s...ead.php?t=1348
    http://screamingelectron.org/forum/showthread.php?t=267
    http://screamingelectron.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2

Good Luck, and happy hacking.