Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

LAN connection dropping [Very Annoying Issue]

Thread: LAN connection dropping [Very Annoying Issue]

LAN connection dropping [Very Annoying Issue]

OK. I have networked (wired) two PC's together. One is my Slack PC and one is my Windows PC. This has happened to me 2 times already.. last time for cursing at the system and banging, etc, it became normal.

Here's what happens:

Everything went fine, i connected my ethernet cord: i did
    Code:
    dhcpcd eth0
    and it found my ip,etc. 2 days later, i suddenly lose my connection. My computer never turned off after i did the dhcpcd . And now I ran netconfig, dhcpcd eth0, nothing happens. I cleared out the cache:

/etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth0.cache

:-\ nothing happens. I removed the dhcpcd package and re-installed it. And cleared out the /etc/dhcpc but nothing happens!! I ran netconfig again.. no result..

Can someone please tell what I am doing wrong ?

I am running Slackware 9.1 with a WHOLE LOT of config. and customizing.

A Quick Search on Google turned this up... this is not exactly what's happening but it is something similar

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg05803.html

[edit:gorn]use descriptive titles[/edit]

Re:LAN connection dropping [Very Annoying Issue]

You might try a static connection, and see if the problem continues.

I did.. I manually entered the IP, Gateway, Netmask, etc. using `netconfig` but it still doesn't work..

Windows was working but now even windows doesn't work. It only doesn't work when plugged into the router.. when connected to the modem..it works.

SO I am thinking it's the router..

Can you still access the router at all? Does it have a console port you could log into with? Is there anything in the logs?

At the time, no I wasn't but now I can. I just re-ran the quick installer crap that the router came with and it set up my Windows.. then I ran dhcpcd eth0 on my Slack system..and it works..now..

But I am still searching google as I am curious what caused the trouble.. If I find something, then I will report to you about it.. i think i am almost on it though.

Thanks for the help Master Copy.

Sounds like the DHCP leases timed out, and you only had 2 to give out. You might go ahead and set them static to avoid any issues.

Or increase the lease time...

Good Guru

It also happen with my WAN connection. My ISP runs Windows DHCP server. It would loose connection, then the system won't forward. I had to take the eth0 down and restart it with ifdown eth0 and ifup eth0 commands.

Thanks CompuNuts...I will try that next time it happens...if it happens.