Thread: Upgrade from 7.3 to 9

Upgrade from 7.3 to 9

I'm planning to upgrade a number of boxes from rh 7.3 to 9.
    Never done upgrades before.....let's say current server runs apache and xntpd, both have .conf files - what will happen to them?
    Also...any other 'things' I can expexct from upgrades?
    Thanks.

Good Guru

Re:Upgrade from 7.3 to 9

Well I can state this from an experience that was more of a recovery/rebuild. Backup the /etc, /home, and /var. Plus grab anything like your custom RPMs for anything that is mission critical that isnt Red Hat sanctioned (like Apache, Sendmail, X).

I had a cracked box that was more than likely rootkitted that had to be rebuilt, that took about an extra 45 minutes or so after the install, repartition (the guy that did it was an asshole, had it all as one giant partition).

Other than that, I would expect a pretty smooth sailing. Upgrades I have done usually were reformats for none other than cleanliness of the install. Plus head on over to the mailing lists. Maybe a success/failure story can be relevant to your hardware or specific software (it hated upgrading RealTek NIC's or APache needed to be toyed with or whatnot).

Good Guru

I just did an upgrade of a friend of mine's box from 7.3 to 9 while I was on vacation to Asia. No problem at all. YMMV though.

Thanks for the feedback. I don;t feel like reformatting, so I'd rather go with the traditional upgrade.......

Just do a media check. Media check every disc you plan on using. My upgrade from FC1 to FC2 was going beautifully 'till I hit one corrupt package. That was the end of it. I had to do a complete reformat as it left the job half-done and I had no access to another burner.

Maybe it's me but I've had horrible luck with RH ISOs. Everyone else seems to be ok, but every time I burn a RH or FC ISO the disc is corrupted.

Went fine for me, right after the upgrade everything worked out of the box, xntpd was upgraded with no problem, so .... long live rock'n'roll