Thread: Debian From Scratch

Debian From Scratch

This sounds kinda interesting...I saw this on Distrowatch.com.

Debian From Scratch (DFS) is a single CD that is a full rescue CD
    capable of working with all major filesystems, LVM, software RAID,
    and even compiling a new kernel.

And, it's a cdebootstrap-based install CD that can install i386 woody, i386 sarge, i386 sid, and amd64 sid directly from CD, and whatever else from the 'net. The installation can best be described as "Gentoo-like". Documentation is not yet very complete.

http://tinyurl.com/2x8ru

Re:Debian From Scratch

In other news, the number of Linux distros now exceed the number of Linux users.

Yeah, and the number of linux users outnumber BSD users :P

[quote author=countach44 link=board=7;threadid=9261;start=0#msg83740 date=1085445493]
    [/quote]

only because AT&T sued us... if they had just kept their silly complaint to themselves, there would be no Linux movement and everyone would be using BSD.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=9261;start=0#msg83742 date=1085446259]
    [quote author=countach44 link=board=7;threadid=9261;start=0#msg83740 date=1085445493]
    [/quote]

only because AT&T sued us... if they had just kept their silly complaint to themselves, there would be no Linux movement and everyone would be using BSD.
    [/quote]
    What fun would that be?

We locked 12 BSD developers in a room for a week with a single copy of freeBSD. A week later, when the door was open, all 12 were found dead, clutching each other's throats. Also found were 12 new versions of BSD.

[quote author=cga link=board=7;threadid=9261;start=0#msg83758 date=1085486935]
    We locked 12 BSD developers in a room for a week with a single copy of freeBSD. A week later, when the door was open, all 12 were found dead, clutching each other's throats. Also found were 12 new versions of BSD.
    [/quote]

Nah, they would have named one release manager, held an election for the core team, spend time designing BSD licensed implementations of previously GPL'ed device drivers... that was day one, days two till twelve would be spend making fun of Linux.

[quote author=[RIP]Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=9261;start=0#msg83780 date=1085510155]
    that was day one, days two till twelve would be spend making fun of Linux.
    [/quote]

which is exactly why linux surpassed BSD in overall quality

Good Guru

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=7;threadid=9261;start=0#msg83782 date=1085511825]
    which is exactly why linux surpassed BSD in overall quality
    [/quote]

That I cannot agree with. OpenBSD is WAYY more secure out of the box than any distro. I have yet to have a more stable and secure system as my old OpenBSD 3.0 gateway.

AS for NetBSD -- cant comment too much since I havent touched it in ... A Long Ass Time (try 7 years or so). FreeBSD is more stable and secure, but lacks the extras that most mainstream linuxes have. Meaning a simple GUI to hold ones dick while he pees.