Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats you favorite recipe

whats you favorite recipe

Hey, tommrow I have to cook something for the family dinner (my family and GF) and I need to cook something just to show I can cook ;D but I don't know what :-[ my GF said "try cooking something new this time" so I thought I would ask you guys like, and it can't be seafood (I don't like it) if you can provide a recipe and why you like it. if you know a good desert please tell ;D

TIA
    Michael

BTW this is the first time both familys have had dinner together.

Re:whats you favorite recipe

Okay, how do you feel about fresh pasta, it requires some extra tools but tastes great...

okay here goes some random ideas, not intended as a menu:

Tahiziki:

rid a litre of yogurt of it's liquid (I put it in coffee filters in siv and leave it in the fridge for a few hours). This will leave a mass, add garlic, salt and white peper. Scrap the core out of two average sized cucumbers and grate into mass. This is brilliant for bread or as a starter. enough for 3-4 people or one me since I love it so dearly. Remember better add a little garlic and leaving to sit (garlic disperses flavor when you leave it like this and the dish gets to taste more of garlic), for this portion size about 2 cloves should do it, add more if you like.

Lovechild's kicking salad:
    slice 250grams of sundried tomatos, put in a bowl and add 1 dl (1/10 litre) of boiling water, season with salt, peper and the juice of a citron (or lime will do), wisk in olive oil (I will kill you if you use anything but olive oil, use about dl), leave for 3 mins.
    Now slice iceberg salad, ruccet (spelling?), the rough equal of a head/pack of each (I'm guessing 300-500grams each). add and toss. mix in 250grams of feta cubes. I promise you this is so god damn tasty - first time I did this there was standing ovation.. could have been the wine though.

Pasta:
    The requires equipment that's kinda special so go to a shop and get it or wing it (bound to failure - spend that 40 bucks, it's an investment in your relationship.. trust me)

one egg and 100grams of flour per person (works best if the flour is none riseable), as the size of eggs vary you can add more flour or make up with a little olive oil - mix up till it's a nice nonesticky mass. Roll out in the machine (or use a roller) we are looking for about 2-3mm thick plates. Now use part two of the machine to cut it out in -1 cm lines (it comes in two sizes on most machines wide and narrow, use the wide one for a first go, it's MUCH easier). Boil in water with a little olive oil added (to ease the none stickiness of the pasta), 10mins is about the time needed for a good result, but feel free to cook it al-dente if you like.

Meat:
    I'm partial to chicken streaks seasoned with fresh herbs (I have an assortment in my window, it's handy and saves money), with tomato and Guiness sauce. Disappointment cooklng wise, 2 tins of tomatos and a guiness stout, season with oregano and other suitable herbs. (WAY TO EASY, but handy if you are in a hurry as it cooks fast)
    I found that crushed chilli and paprika works nicely with chicken.

Dessert:
    I picked this one up from Jamie Oliver.. it's brilliant

Fresh fruit, it's brillant, get strawberries, grapes, whatever you like, mixed fruits really. now we need a sugar coating, this calls for 250grams of sugar and equal amount of water, heat in pan till it's sticky slightly caramelised (don't put your fingers in this shit, it will hurt like hell... I accidently dropped some on my hand once.. let's not go there), now pour over the sliced fruits and toss, this will coat the fruit plus make it nice and sweet. This will also protect it a bit so you can leave it in the fridge.
    Put in bowls for each person, add a good spoon of Creme fraise on top and pour champagne (it does have to be Dom or anything fancy, just not the foul shit, you get what you pay for, generally a sweet flowery champagne or champagne type wine will do great). Serve right away, and get a big fat grin on brotha.

--
    Sorry for the metric, but it's the one true standard, just like vim is the one true editor.

You're going to think I'm a strange man for this, but I'm serious this is really really good. It's classy too so it's guaranteed to impress.

You will need:

-1 big ol' bowl of strawberries
    -enough whipping cream to mix in with them to create a sort of souffle (real whipping cream from a carton...none of this cool whip shit, that kills it)
    -enough sugar to sprinkle on top of the strawberries and slightly sweeten the whipping cream
    -1 shot glass of brandy
    -peppercorns and a pepper grinder (you heard me)

Cut up the strawberries into slices, and sprinkle with sugar. Stir around until you have strawberries in a sugary strawberry juice sauce. In a separate bowl, whip the whipping cream (preferrably with an electric mixer, otherwise you'll be damn tired) and stir in just enough sugar to give it a very faint sweet taste...the taste should be of cream with a hint of a sweet aftertaste. Combine strawberries and whipping cream in a bowl and stir. This will give you a pink mixture with delicious fruity slices. Now stir in the shot of brandy, and grind in some pepper ( not too much...a few rotations of the grinder ). Stir it all together and put in a serving dish. As decor, you may want to save a few slices of strawberries to put as something pretty and ornamental on top. Finally, give the pepper grinder another twist or two on top just so there's no confusion as to the fact that there's pepper in there. Serve chilled.

When you eat it, it's a really interesting effect. The first thing you taste is a brandy-like flavour on your tongue, which immediately gives way to strawberries and whipped cream. As you eat it you should begin to get hints of a peppery taste (remember there's just enough pepper in this thing to notice...it should be enough to get noticed, but not be overwhelming...the feature is the strawberries and whipped cream). The overall effect is one of intrigue (and it's delicious too ;D ).

You'll have to judge the amounts of ingredients as you make it. Start small and add more if you need it. Good luck

Lovechild - your Tahiziki sounds good i'll keep it in mind still waiting for others whats mass???

Tyr_7BE - that sounds fuckin good i'll save it for later in the night
    beats strawberrys and chocolate syrup ;D ;D

so anyone else know more ;D ;D ;D

Here's one my gf is suppose to fix for me one day. I haven't tried it yet, so if you do, let me know if it's any good! ;D

Roast Leg of Lamb with Mustard Glaze

1 leg of lamb, about 6 to 7 pounds
    1/3 cup prepared mustard
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 large clove garlic, crushed and minced
    1 teaspoon thyme, crushed
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    Place leg of lamb on rack in roasting pan. Roast uncovered at 325 for 1 hour.

Combine mustard, soy sauce, garlic, thyme, and ginger; spread mixture over leg of lamb. Roast leg of lamb for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours longer, or until done. Baste leg of lamb with drippings a few times during baking.

Roast leg of lamb serves 6 to 8.

[quote author=The Great Mojo Jojo link=board=14;threadid=9285;start=0#msg83970 date=1086053487]
    Lovechild - your Tahiziki sounds good i'll keep it in mind still waiting for others whats mass???
    [/quote]

It's like a thick cream, imagine how yogurt would look like if you drained most of the water from it.

It's dead simple and damn good, greek food normally is.

Picadillo con arroz y frijoles

* 2 tablespoons of oil (olive oil works nice)
    * 400 grams / 1 lb of lean beef mince
    * 1 onion
    * 1 tablespoons of tomato paste
    * teaspoon of ground cumin
    * cup of raisins (I prefer without, either is good)
    * 1 cup of beef stock or water
    * 6 to 8 green olives
    * 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
    * 2 cans of black beans
    * 3 cups rice
    Peel and finely chop the onion. In a large pan or saucepan heat the oil and add the beef. Cook over a medium heat until browned. Add the onion, garlic mix well. Stir in the tomato paste, cumin and raisins. Cover lightly the mixture with beef stock and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the olives. Add salt and pepper to taste. All the while you should be cooking the rice and black beans (seperately). Mix all together and enjoy!

wooohooo dinner went well lastnight ;D ;D all I made was t-bone steak on the BBQ mashed potatoes(sp?) and my mom made the rest :-\

but Tyr_7BE I made yours and my GF loved it (+2 karma for you) it tastes really good to I think everyone should try it ;D ;D it tates really good on the peak of mountains too ;D ;D ;D do you know more recipes like this ;D

and eveyone that posted a recipe gets +1 karma ;D ;D

Good Guru

Barley
    Rice
    Hops
    Water

Ferment

Drink

Enjoy.

[quote author=Slave Copy link=board=14;threadid=9285;start=0#msg84055 date=1086209414]
    Barley
    Rice
    Hops
    Water

Ferment

Drink

Enjoy.
    [/quote]

Mmmmm...there's a reason it's so ubiquitous

And Mojo I'm afraid that's the fanciest dessert I know. There's always good old chocolate-dipped strawberries, or blueberries and cream, etc etc...any sort of fruit is awesome.

Glad to have been of service