Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Printers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printers

Printers

ops: OK. Dim bulb is back.

I have two SuSE linux machines. I have managed to get one set up with three printers of various flavors using the 'LPD Forwarding (without filtering)', the other has the same options grayed out and can't be selected.

Any ideas? :cry:

TIA
    Everything I learn gives me another way to say \"OOPS!\" :oops:

Select cups at your printer config
    Wenn Sie Spaß meines Englisch mich Willensfuckingtötung Sie bilden.

Re: Printers

Thanks for the possibility. However, I don't have any 'cups' classes to enter.

Anyhow, the below shows what is not selectable in light blue. Whereas on the other server, it was selectable and I used it to set up the three printers that do work correctly.

YaST @ evans (ui-ncurses-2.6.20)
    ┌───────────────────────────────────────────────── ─────────────────────────────┐
    │┌────────────────────┐ Connection for printer: │
    ││ Forwarding queue ┬ ┌Select the printer type:────────────────────┐ │
    ││to remote LPD: │ │LPD and IPP network printing: │ │
    ││Files to print are │ │( ) LPD filtering and forwarding queue │ │
    ││sent directly to the│ │( ) IPP filtering and forwarding queue │ │
    ││remote printer. ┴ │Other network printing: │ │
    ││ Prefilter queue │ │( ) SMB Printing (Samba/Windows printer) │ │
    ││for a LPD forwarding│ │( ) Direct TCP port printing (network printe│ │
    ││queue: │ │Other: │ │
    ││Files are prepared │ │( ) Other Printer (set URI) │ │
    ││on the local │ │(x) CUPS class │ │
    ││computer. Raw data │ │Unsupported printing in CUPS: │ │
    ││is sent to the │
    │( ) LPD forwarding queue │ │
    ││remote host with the│ │( ) Prefilter queue for a LPD forwarding que│ │
    ││printer using a │ │( ) IPX printing (Novell printer) │ │
    ││local forwarding │ │( ) Pipe printing │ │
    ││queue. │ │ │ │
    ││ Filtering and │ └──────────────────────────────────────────── ┘ │
    ││forwarding queue │ │
    ││Files are prepared │ │
    │└────────────────────┘ [Back] [Abort] [Next] │
    └───────────────────────────────────────────────── ─────────────────────────────┘

What kind of printer are you trying to setup?
    What version of suse are you useing?

Thanks for jumping in 'comtux'.

Both machines are SuSE 8.1. Both were loaded identically when delivered. The machine that has three working are: HP8100 Laser B/W, mt691 line printer, and a sharp 160c network printer/copier.

I viewed the lpfilter file on the non working machine and found all items commented out and then went ahead and set up the hp8100 as a filtered/forwarding spool and it prints in a fashion. The top of the print job is trimmed and the bottom is too long. But at least I am getting somewhere.

Dont know about the other two, because I only buy HP printers because they have really nice linux drivers. For your 8100, make sure you have installed the hpijs driver package which includes official drivers for most (all?) modern hp printers.

Hp 8100 laserjet right?
    This printer is fully supported on linux via cups if something is wrong like paper alignment it is simple misconfigured a can't really help with that.

I could find no linx supported printer drivers for mt691 line printer, and sharp 160c.

mt691 line printer this is SERIAL/PARALLEL right?

Suse 8.1 you should really upgrade to something newer.
    You are just cutting your self short on hardware support and a lot of other modern features by using 8.1.

So let me get this right you have two Suse 8.1 boxes and you wish to setup the same type of printers on both boxes but for some reason 1 is not work right..
    Right?

If this is the case and they are both networked together do a filesystem to filesystem comparison and make the correct changes to make box #2 work properly.

From what you have posted.
    Sorry but i am aware that you are having some sort of printer problem but i am not really sure what you are asking us.

You should post like this.

Example
    ---------------------------------
    Box #1
    Suse 8.1 Pro or home
    Kde 3.x or Gnome
    Printers Connected wether they are USB/SERIAL/PARALLEL
    What works and what doesn't.

Box #2
    Suse 8.1 Pro or home
    Kde 3.x or Gnome
    Printers Connected wether they are USB/SERIAL/PARALLEL
    What works and what doesn't.

Thanks 'comtux' for the continuing dialog. Below is what I should have clearly presented earlier.

Box #1 = IBM 325x 'elbert'
    Suse 8.1 Pro
    Gnome
    Printers Connected via the LAN on a Win98 server: HP8100n, HP4500c, mt691 line printer, plus an HP405n shared on a desktop with XP as the O/S.
    What works = mt691 and the HP8100n, and what doesn't work yet = HP4500c and the shared HP4050n, plus a shared HP4si on another desktop. The Win98 server is using NIPrint (an LPD client/server package) to accept print jobs from *nix machines. Those working were set up using 'yast' > Hardware > Printer > Configure > Show more connections > LPD forwarding queue. I will set up the others and some more using the same procedure.

Box #2 = IBM 325x 'evans'
    Suse 8.1 Pro
    Gnome
    Printers Connected via the LAN on a Win98 server: HP8100n, HP4500c, mt691 line printer, plus an HP405n shared on a desktop with XP as the O/S.
    None are presently working because the 'yast' > Hardware > Printer > Configure > Show more connections > LPD forwarding queue is grayed out and cannot be selected.

Let me ponder this for a while that is quite the complicated setup.

You would think suse would make it easy but i don't.

Ill get back to you on this hope your in no hurry.
    Wenn Sie Spaß meines Englisch mich Willensfuckingtötung Sie bilden.

Printers Connected via the LAN

Box #1

1. Win98 server: HP8100n, HP4500c, mt691 line printer.
    2. HP405n shared on a desktop with XP as the O/S.

3.What works = mt691 and the HP8100n
    4.what doesn't work yet = HP4500c and the shared HP4050n, plus a shared HP4si on another desktop.

The Win98 server is using NIPrint (an LPD client/server package) to accept print jobs from *nix machines.

Box #2

1. Printers Connected via the LAN on a Win98 server: HP8100n, HP4500c, mt691 line printer,
    2. plus an HP405n shared on a desktop with XP as the O/S.

Dude what you have here is failer to communicate.

I am going to tell you what i would do k.
    Get a Auto Parallel port Switchbox
    Dump the windows partitions and find your self a copy of vmware.

Because that setup is a cluster fuck of a mess keep it simple besides that unless i was there with you i can't really help you have 4 printers compleatly supported by linux and 2 maybe's use a swith and vmware to install windows 98 on to install the other 2 printers.

For a linux user your setup make no sence. Sorry