Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Vrius (AVG vs Commerical)

Anti-Vrius (AVG vs Commerical)

During the school year I repaired lots of student stations, and those without anti-virus software I usually gave AVG, which is free for home use. These are students, they can't afford a non-free one.

However one of my mother's friends for work wants me to come over and fix her computer (for pay) and to buy the latest anti-virus and she'll pay me back. What does Norton or McAffe offer that AVG doesn't? (Aside from better looking graphics! AVG is UGLY)

Re:Anit-Vrius (AVG vs Commerical)

I haven't used AVG before so does it offer real time virus protection, email&spam filtering? These things are offered with Norton.

[quote author=Izan Seth link=board=25;threadid=9243;start=0#msg83619 date=1085164490]
    I haven't used AVG before so does it offer real time virus protection, email&spam filtering? These things are offered with Norton.
    [/quote]

It does offer real time virus protection, don't think it has spam filtering but believe it does scan emails for viruses.

Mentor

It has got email protection.

Isn't it's email protection only for use with OE?

From the grisoft AVG free version faq:

What e-mail clients are supported by AVG Free?

AVG Free Edition currently supports Microsoft Outlook email client.
    Does norton support anything else though?

[quote author=vvx link=board=25;threadid=9243;start=0#msg83654 date=1085210656]
    [/quote]

i'm not entirely sure about this, but last time i used Norton Anti Virus the email checking worked somewhat like this: instead of just setting it up to use your pop3 account, you would access your pop3 account through some norton servers... so no matter what email client you used, you would connect to the norton server, which downloaded your email, scanned it, and then sent it back to your system.

this was a couple of years ago, so i'm not sure if they still do it that way

Good Guru

I use Panda. No its not free, but it is by far the best for WIndows. As for Linux, I do use the daemon they provide. Its not bad.

Panda is greater yet if you are in a Windows Domain. You can set up the server side to force the users to have Panda installed and running and up to date. That was invaluable at my previous job. Too many users were stopping the older Cheyenne AV.

AVG does work with Mozilla Mail.

Well maybe not...I haven't been in Windows lately but I thought it did check email using mozilla mail.

I know Norton does.

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=25;threadid=9243;start=0#msg83657 date=1085214656]
    [quote author=vvx link=board=25;threadid=9243;start=0#msg83654 date=1085210656]
    [/quote]

i'm not entirely sure about this, but last time i used Norton Anti Virus the email checking worked somewhat like this: instead of just setting it up to use your pop3 account, you would access your pop3 account through some norton servers... so no matter what email client you used, you would connect to the norton server, which downloaded your email, scanned it, and then sent it back to your system.

this was a couple of years ago, so i'm not sure if they still do it that way
    [/quote]

I have been using Norton both at home and at work for many years and they have never been setup so you access your e-mail through their servers. Norton will work with Outlook or Lotus Notes.

[quote author=Heckle link=board=25;threadid=9243;start=0#msg83687 date=1085317980]
    I have been using Norton both at home and at work for many years and they have never been setup so you access your e-mail through their servers. Norton will work with Outlook or Lotus Notes.
    [/quote]

i specifically remember setting up my mail in windows using a server from the antivirus company instead of my regular mail server. it could've been another company's product, but i don't remember ever running something other than norton antivirus