Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

New HD recommendations

Thread: New HD recommendations

New HD recommendations

Hi guys. I have realized my HD is full. 20gigs. never thought this day would get here. Pretty much 20 gigs worth of progs. No mp3s. I have a server for that. All my dependencies in Gentoo have filled up my HD. Anyone have any recomendations for a HD under $100 maybe under $90-80.

Thanks.

Re:New HD recommendations

www.newegg.com is one of my favorite places to buy.

http://tinyurl.com/yt2eg

http://www.pricewatch.com is really awesome. IT has great deals for hard drives.

Do you still have all the source files and directories? Running "make clean" will clean up the object files (which can add up) and stuff generated during compilation.

Sorry I put this in the wrong Forum.

Well Gentoo should run make clean after it installs something. Maybe I should get emerge to produce some list of stuff in stalled and I can remove what I dont need.

Well if you have no use for the source tar balls for all of the programs that you have installed you can clean out your /usr/portage/distfiles/ directory and that should get you a bunch of space.
    Only things I generally keep in there are the nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx and ndiswrapper files so I can reinstall them after I recompile my kernel and still be offline.

Maybe also check to see how big your /var/tmp/packages/ directory is. This is where all of the packages are built and should be cleaned out after a sucessfull install however if an emerge fails the unzipped tar ball is kept in the directory so it is possible that the folder can be quite large.

You should be able to at least reclaim some of your HD with these 2 suggestions.

So I can just go out and remove files under /usr/portage/distfiles/ and /var/tmp/packages/

That is correct. Although /var/tmp/packages probably doesn't contain much that is taking up space.

For cleaning up /usr/portage/distfiles/ there is a script in this thread: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3011 that removes older versions of tarballs that are stored, very helpful if you are on a slow connection and want more space but don't want to have to redownload everything if you need to recompile.

I have a pretty quick connection so every now and then I just clear out /usr/portage/distfiles/ to reclaim some space.