Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Allow users to shutdown / reboot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allow users to shutdown / reboot

Allow users to shutdown / reboot

Hi,
    I've recently started using SuSE 9.0, and only root is able to shutdown or reboot the system. I want all users to be able to do this from the command line, as I prefer a text-based login.

Ideally when logged in as myself I would like to be able to just invoke "reboot" or "poweroff" without having to provide a password. Security is not really an issue as it's my home desktop machine.

How can this be done?

Re:Allow users to shutdown / reboot

suid shutdown.

Code:
    chmod +s  /sbin/shutdown
    Note that this is not good for production environments, because you are basically making the shutdown binary run always as root.

However, there should not be a problem in a home environment.

Thanks Trickster, worked perfectly and I can now shutdown without su'ing! 8)

Have a Karma on me!

maybe you could just copy the shutdown, reboot, and init files to /usr/bin ? Or would this cause problems?

What I did after chmodding shutdown was to put two wee scripts called "reboot" and "poweroff" into /usr/bin. All they do is invoke /sbin/shutdown with the necessary switches.

[quote author=Baron_Flambe link=board=1;threadid=9205;start=0#msg83201 date=1084519567]
    What I did after chmodding shutdown was to put two wee scripts called "reboot" and "poweroff" into /usr/bin. All they do is invoke /sbin/shutdown with the necessary switches.
    [/quote]
    For future reference, those scripts already exist on your system. they should be
    Code:
    reboot
    and
    Code:
    halt

<<slaps forehead>> They do? Ah well. One of the things I love about Linux is that you're constantly learning / discovering new things!

I'm just coming back to Linux having been Windows-only for about a year, and it's amazing the amount of stuff I've forgotten. This time around I'm making notes, and printing out the relevant parts of threads where people have helped me!

I also learned that

Code:
    chmod +s /sbin/shutdown

chmod +s /sbin/reboot
    will also let the user shutdown or reboot.

[quote author=trickster link=board=1;threadid=9205;start=0#msg83153 date=1084448736]
    suid shutdown.

Code:
    chmod +s  /sbin/shutdown
    Note that this is not good for production environments, because you are basically making the shutdown binary run always as root.

However, there should not be a problem in a home environment.
    [/quote]