Thread: PC Lockup Issue

PC Lockup Issue

Last month I talked my boss into letting me setup an old Compaq PII 350mhz box for Linux. At the time, someone had burned me a copy of the latest Lindows/Linspire Dev. 2.5 edition and I installed it.

Everything installed fine, I didn't see any problems. Once I start using it, after about 10 minutes or so, it would freeze up hard. Only way to get out was to hit the power switch. Each time it seem like it may be a mouse problem. So I switched mouse and same thing happens.

Next, I decided to take the box home and give it to my son. All the time I'm thinking maybe it was a bad Lindows burn cd, so I decided to install Win XP since my son wanted xp anyway. Same thing would happen, using the mouse it seems like it freeze up. Now I'm thinking a mouse port problem maybe.

Well this time I had Knoppix 3.3 and I decided to boot using Knoppix and see if it locks up...after using it for 30 minutes or so, no lockup, it works fine and dandy.

Now I don't know what to do or try to get it working using the HD. Maybe it's the hard drive causing the lockup. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thnx.

Re:PC Lockup Issue

Well, the easy way out would be to install Knoppix to the hard drive. There is a PET here on how to do that.

The harder way is to troubleshoot it. Can you check for errors on the Windows Event Viewer or, under linux, on /var/log/messages or /var/log/XFree86.log?

Thanks for the reply. I will have to check it out tomorrow (Wed.) and let you know.

Well after rebooting, the only thing I saw in the Event Viewer was a couple of Warnings under the Source section=EventSystem, before it locked up again.

I may try to find a serial mouse and see if it has problems. I used to have one around here someplace...

I still can't figure out why the mouse works using Knoppix CD but not when running Linux and Windows from the hard drive.

I'm going to install a different hard drive and see what happens!

Good Guru

Also, try testing your memory for leaks.