Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Can Linux box be used as wireless access point/router ??

Thread: Can Linux box be used as wireless access point/router ??

Good Guru

Can Linux box be used as wireless access point/router ??

Well, as we all know, if you have two NIC cards, you can turn your Linux box into wired gateway/router.

What if I have a wireless card, a NIC and use NAT/MASQ to use as access point/router for wireless network? Linksys WRT54G is based on Linux right? So can I turn my box to use as wireless access point if I have one wireless NIC and one regular NIC on my box and then one wireless card on the other?

Do you guys know of anyone who have done it? Or is it really based on the specialized hardware? Any pointers?

TIA ...

Good Guru

Re:Can Linux box be used as wireless access point/router ??

No tips or pointers really, but yeah I have heard of that being done quite successfully.

Good Guru

It required you to buy the hardware.

What I'm after is use existing Linux box to run as AP router. Not something I can easily get by buying a hardware specific product. I can go out and buy Linksys WSP54G for 59 bucks and be done with it. That one will cost 99 bucks.

I know you were looking to do basically what many people have done with a second NIC, I was just posting that because I thought it was cool.

Good Guru

So you were just doing infomercials for Dlink?? :P

I'm a tool :-[

Have you checked out the Wireless HOWTO?

You can do it!

http://hostap.epitest.fi/
    http://nocat.net/

I haven't done it though, well not really. I had 2 cards in one box and connected to myself...

I won't even type what I'm thinking.