Thread: Visual Basic.NET 2003 - for Free

Visual Basic.NET 2003 - for Free

Microsoft is giving away copies of Visual Basic.NET in a promotion called VB at the movies. In exchange for watching five relatively short "movies" you get a "free" (not for resale) copy of Visual Basic.NET (IDE and all needed tools). The movies themselves are a showcase of features available in Visual Basic.NET. Note that only 2 of 7 movies are currently available.

I found this at www.osnews.com. Is something fishy going on here?

Here's the link to the VB at the Movies link.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/atthemovies/

Re:Visual Basic.NET 2003 - for Free

[quote author=Saptech link=board=25;threadid=9187;start=0#msg83038 date=1084156570]
    Is something fishy going on here?
    [/quote]

Wouldn't I/you need a copy of a Microsoft OS to run VB .NET? Plus isn't MS transition away from VB to some other/new technology?

[quote author=CAssIus link=board=25;threadid=9187;start=0#msg83042 date=1084162105]
    [quote author=Saptech link=board=25;threadid=9187;start=0#msg83038 date=1084156570]
    Is something fishy going on here?
    [/quote]

Wouldn't I/you need a copy of a Microsoft OS to run VB .NET? Plus isn't MS transition away from VB to some other/new technology?
    [/quote]
    Exactly, to tie you into the OS... I guess it is part of the .NOT, oops I mean .NET thingy!

karma++ on that one. Also, you may end up joining a dev team where you are forced to use VS.

[quote author=CAssIus link=board=25;threadid=9187;start=0#msg83042 date=1084162105]
    [/quote]

please don't confuse VB with VB.NET. The two could _not_ be more different.

VB = crap
    VB.NET = language binding for the .NET CLR (Common Language Runtime) just like C# is

We have an "Academic Alliance" with Microsoft here at the college I work for... basically, any ITE student who is registered for a programming course can get a copy of Win2k server, Win2k pro, WinXP pro, and the latest Visual Studio for like $15.

Of course, I'm getting them to teach stuff like PHP, generic C/C++ using gcc, etc.

Mentor

At my uni, cosc students can get free software from MS. Right now I have a copy of windows XP professional, and Visual Studio .NET.
    The licence is very fuzzy though. It says you are allowed to use it even after you finish studying, but it also said you're not allowed to make unauthorised copies. I figure that if they are giving it to me, then I'm allowed to make one copy for myself, thats the way it seemed anyway.
    CP

Did anybody get a free copy and how is it?