Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New PC

My New PC

Well, I lost my old laptop because the USB died and there is no way for me to connect to internet so my dad occupied it with XP Home.

Now I get a new PC: I wanted to build my own, but here is a good alternative: Microtel so now I am about to get my own HDD (probably 20 GB or 40 GB). and my own CDROM Drive. I think one of those cheap $40 ones will do.. anything cheaper suggested is highly appreciated. and I will get a nice old Slack CD and get myself Linux on there.

Any suggestions will be nice. Just wanted to tell about my new (almost complete) PC.

Re:My New PC

For about $70 to $100 you can get a DVD burner.

[quote author=chessforce link=board=3;threadid=9186;start=0#msg83023 date=1084150255]
    For about $70 to $100 you can get a DVD burner.
    [/quote]
    Well, i am not into movie creating or editing movies or of that sort..so a good ol' cd burner will do fine for me. I already have a spare one so no problem. but thanks, also, will it burn cd's as well?

I think all DVD burners burn CDs. Don't get into the mentality that DVDs are just for movies. It's the next data storage wave, like how the CD conquered the floppy. Be ready for the future. I'm also gonna buy a new computer, but I'm waiting till intel releases a 64 bit processor so the prices on the Altholon 64 will go down.

[quote author=countach44 link=board=3;threadid=9186;start=0#msg83026 date=1084150866]
    I think all DVD burners burn CDs. Don't get into the mentality that DVDs are just for movies. It's the next data storage wave, like how the CD conquered the floppy. Be ready for the future. I'm also gonna buy a new computer, but I'm waiting till intel releases a 64 bit processor so the prices on the Altholon 64 will go down.
    [/quote]

Well, I will NEVER have data that i will need to burn on DVD's It would just probably be cd's. And also, I am not going for Athlon64 till all software and Slack supports it. :-\ Plus, I don't have much needs anyway. I am just going to use that PC for complete and mindless software development and coding.

You don't have the data now, but stuff just keeps getting bigger, and bigger. Also, athlon64 is a 32bit processor with 64bit extensions, so it should work.

http://elementcomputer.com/store/pro...c9c4d80e69cee9

My next target. The only problem is that there are currently no good drivers / programs for linux tablets.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=3;threadid=9186;start=0#msg83035 date=1084155521]
    Cutting Edge

My next target. The only problem is that there are currently no good drivers / programs for linux tablets.
    [/quote]

Really Sweet

[quote author=shebang link=board=3;threadid=9186;start=0#msg83030 date=1084151922]
    [quote author=countach44 link=board=3;threadid=9186;start=0#msg83026 date=1084150866]
    [/quote]

Well, I will NEVER have data that i will need to burn on DVD's It would just probably be cd's. And also, I am not going for Athlon64 till all software and Slack supports it. :-\ Plus, I don't have much needs anyway. I am just going to use that PC for complete and mindless software development and coding.
    [/quote]

You can try a Gentoo compile-from-scratch solution for full 64-bit compatibility.

P.S. I also agree with countach44 with the DVD issue. Sooner or later, you are going to find yourself with huge file(s) that will not fit on a CD without splitting.

Well, I will NEVER have data that i will need to burn on DVD's It would just probably be cd's. And also, I am not going for Athlon64 till all software and Slack supports it. Plus, I don't have much needs anyway. I am just going to use that PC for complete and mindless software development and coding.
    Don't forget system backups. Surely you don't like installing from scratch after a good corruption. Also, don't think the stuff you downloaded won't get bigger than 650-700MB. You can always get DVD-RW media, and keep adding to it, and not have to worry about losing your data (unless it doesn't burn right, and you don't check it after a burn. Of course we ALWAYS check our backups, right?).

Don't forget you can always pirate video games.