Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Suse 9.1 pro for $9.99
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suse 9.1 pro for $9.99

Mentor

Suse 9.1 pro for $9.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...85150&rd=1

"this is NOT the boxed version of SuSE Linux ..."

Re:Suse 9.1 pro for $9.99

well it is open source, but this isn't very cool - either you buy the boxed version or you wait for the ftp release.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=9169;start=0#msg82864 date=1083952364]
    well it is open source, but this isn't very cool - either you buy the boxed version or you wait for the ftp release.
    [/quote]

Agreed. While legal, this is just an asshole thing to do. I encourage readers of this board not to buy this.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=7;threadid=9169;start=0#msg82874 date=1083968321]
    [quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=9169;start=0#msg82864 date=1083952364]
    [/quote]

Agreed. While legal, this is just an asshole thing to do. I encourage readers of this board not to buy this.
    [/quote]

Curious as to why the above was said.

How is this any different when RedHat had bozxed sets and cheapbytes and others sold pink tie and before that plain CD versions.

I'm not intending to argue, but to noodle out why this is such an "asshole thing to do"

[quote author=Pantheus link=board=7;threadid=9169;start=0#msg83290 date=1084746747]
    [quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=7;threadid=9169;start=0#msg82874 date=1083968321]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Curious as to why the above was said.

How is this any different when RedHat had bozxed sets and cheapbytes and others sold pink tie and before that plain CD versions.

I'm not intending to argue, but to noodle out why this is such an "asshole thing to do"
    [/quote]

Because it's SuSE's expressed policy not to release ISOs and to make people who can't/won't buy the package wait for the free setup. Also previouly <9.0 had properatary stuff on the cds so it wasn't legal to copy them.
    Redhat on the other hand has always said that you were free to copy their stuff, and provided ISOs.

I will however in the same context admit that I didn't pay for my copy, my school's Linux lab buys every SuSE release so I just made a copy to test it - and I'm happy I didn't fork over 89.99 for the Pro edition since I didn't like it very much.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=9169;start=0#msg83319 date=1084792538]
    and I'm happy I didn't fork over 89.99 for the Pro edition since I didn't like it very much.
    [/quote]

that's why i don't like their policy of having to buy it before you can try it. don't start about the evaluation version or the FTP version. if i wanna try a distro then i want the real thing, not some half assed version that has only one purpose: getting you to buy the real thing.

anyway, as long as fedora is freely available i will not be buying Suse, unless they _really_ clean up their act

Thank link is no longer good. eBay shut it down. You can get SuSE here though for around that price with free shipping too. I'm glad someone made it available for us Po Folks.
    http://www.loveofscents.com/suselinx/suse_linux_91.htm

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=7;threadid=9169;start=0#msg83329 date=1084814453]
    that's why i don't like their policy of having to buy it before you can try it. don't start about the evaluation version or the FTP version. if i wanna try a distro then i want the real thing, not some half assed version that has only one purpose: getting you to buy the real thing.

anyway, as long as fedora is freely available i will not be buying Suse, unless they _really_ clean up their act
    [/quote]

well, i posted this message exactly one month ago and guess what i just did? i ordered the professional version of Suse 9.1

you're probably wondering why? excellent KDE support, a shitload of packages, Mono support, and it's a solid product according to a coworker of mine who installed it... he was very happy with it and trust me, he has never liked a Linux distro. From what i've heard from him, Suse 9.1 looks like what i'm looking for.

Mentor

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=7;threadid=9169;start=#msg84918 date=1087766379]
    well, i posted this message exactly one month ago and guess what i just did? i ordered the professional version of Suse 9.1

you're probably wondering why? excellent KDE support, a shitload of packages, Mono support, and it's a solid product according to a coworker of mine who installed it... he was very happy with it and trust me, he has never liked a Linux distro. From what i've heard from him, Suse 9.1 looks like what i'm looking for.
    [/quote]

You won't regret it ...

There's virtually no Mono support for 9.1, I just tried installing it for that very reason, and the packages in the redcarpet channel didn't work.
    As for KDE, if that's your thing (which it apparently is now), then SuSE won't disappoint, KDE in 9.1 reminds me a little of GNOME, everything is named sanely, like Webbrowser, it's a major step in the right direction, and there are quite a few packages on the CDs, sadly all the apps I used and tried was out of date, not like Debian Stable, but still a few revisions behind.

The one thing I do like is that they have great support for the nVidia drivers, basically one click and a X restart and they are running (well a reboot is required since a new kernel came out but hey). Oh and be careful about setting the fonts, I picked the bitstream fonts and all text disappeared for some reason, I take it the font was registered but not installed, that happened a lot on my setup.

Oh and YaST2 is a bit unstable in this release, it tends to hang when saving config files every now and again.

final thing, the boot splash is beautiful, so their long boot times don't bother me, it's just so pretty.

-edit-

Oh and you can download the personal edition CDs completely free now, thanks to Novell - that's the one with only KDE on it and a limited number of programs.