Thread: brief questionnare

brief questionnare

1st dont if this is in the right section
    all right i know im new to the board but i have a few questions to ask and would greatly appreciate the help
    what this is for, im doing my high school senior thesis paper on Linux specifically
    "Linux would make a suitable and more reliable solution for end users and the enterprise" im also hoping to make more people interested/aware in linux in my school
    now my teacher says that we have to have one questionnare like thing as a source for our bibliography so i ask as a favor if you could take a minute or two and help me by answering a few questions
    alright im done begging

1: Could software patents jeopordize the future of linux?
    2: Does the fact that linux is free, weigh in on corporate decision for choosing software?
    3: could linux make a viable desktop/end user substitue?
    4: is linux as stated in the get facts(microsoft ads) more expensive and less productive
    5: could a killer app (ie game, office suite, etc.) push linux even further into the light
    6: is any version of windows suited more so for corporate enviroments, than *nix os or mac
    7: if you work at a it company that sets up computers could you please put a rough price one figure of the cost to set up A: a nix network B: a windows network
    8: Does the fact that open source, is open to the public mean crackers can more easily crack the computers
    9: Do you think that the push from big computer vendors will make people trust linux more
    10: Do you think the fact that security updates come out more and a faster rate means linux is more insecure
    11: Is the road to take to emulate a windows desktop(I.e. feel and theme)
    12: do you think there is anything windows does better

i know some of these questions are stupid but i needed to ask these some are yes/no but i would GREATLY appreciate a brief sentence or two
    thanks in advance

Re: brief questionnare

2: Does the fact that linux is free, weigh in on corporate decision for choosing software?
    [color=green]
    Of course, but not necessarily in a good way. The fact that something's free can sometimes make people think that it doesn't have the same quality as commercial products do.
    [color]

3: Could linux make a viable desktop/end user substitue?
    Yes

4: is linux as stated in the get facts(microsoft ads) more expensive and less productive
    Could you restate the question? Less productive than windows?

5: could a killer app (ie game, office suite, etc.) push linux even further into the light
    Yes. If that app were to run only on Linux and it was truely "killer".

6: is any version of windows suited more so for corporate enviroments, than *nix os or mac
    No

7:if you work at a it company that sets up computers could you please put a rough price one figure of the cost to set up A: a nix network B: a windows network

8oes the fact that open source, is open to the public mean crackers can more easily crack the computers
    Not really. We had a nice discussion about this in a previous thread. I don't have time to grab what I said there...

9Very Happyo you think that the push from big computer vendors will make people trust linux more
    Yes. What is "Very Happyo"?

10o you think the fact that security updates come out more and a faster rate means linux is more insecure
    No, I think that makes it more secure. There will always be security issuses. The OS that can fix them the fastest will be the most secure.

11:Is the road to take to emulate a windows desktop(I.e. feel and theme)
    No. No *nix user even wants to do that IMHO.

Plays games.

I know I left some out. I'll edit the post later to add in more stuff, so don't finalize my answers yet.

thanks for pugio i tried posting this a couple of other places and no responses
    anyhow also to save responders the trouble im colorblind so dont worry bout formatting like certain color is yes

Mentor
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    NO!
    YES!
    No
    ?
    No
    Maybe
    No
    "The Road Ahead" by William Gates
    BSOD

1. Yes software patents take away freedom a really good example is Ms Windows just imagen what windows might have been if bill open sourced it?
    Windows would not be what it is today..
    It would still suck but not nearly as bad.

2. Yes because it is free and open.
    And no hardware and software support are also two huge factors.

3. Allready is we are missing a few apps that keep windows partitions on linux hard drives but it is being worked on.

4. Get the facts(microsoft ads) this is nothing more than a ploy from ms because they are extreamly fearfull of linux ms lost more contracts to linux this year than ever in history in 70% of the corp world with the us as the exception ms is dead..

5. Apps don't make linux. Linux make's the apps
    macromedias and adobe and game developers could help but it doesn't matter we will build such thinks as time goes.

6. All version of windows were created by ms as cash cows Windows Xp Home 3 reinstall's then a 30 day trial is a prime example viruses make huge amounts of money spyware make money linux none of they above linux just isn't a cash cow so there for corp has no interest to make it noticable to the windows public.

7. Linux/Unix for me to do $15 an hour plus cost of hardware.
    Windows $15 an hour plus cost of hardware and around 200.00 for each cpu.
    What looks more cost affective?

8. No open source make it harder for such a thing windows users dont hack linux box we hack our selves plus when a security hole is found it is fixed usealy wth in hours of being discovered.
    Tell me how often do you see ms services packs that fix security and don't take away privlages?

9. Yes and no linux needs lots of air time most windows users have never even heard of linux hell most that i know don't even know that thay use windows.

10. Think about what your asking more fixes faster fixes hmmm i think linux has about 100000X more developers working on core components than ms could ever afford bill don't have that much money..

11. No linux is a custom os you design it to your tastes and needs we just need a simple system to allow users that are not well pc savy to be able to do so.

12. Well it make's money better.

One last thing have you ever had x or kde etc lock up (freeze) Ctrl Alt Backspace fixes that what is that word windows users use REBOOT oh no not here not ever not LINUX.

Oh and sorry to do this to you pugio but test have shown that native linux games run faster than there windows ports.

Listen brother in the world of man it isn't about what is better it is all about what make's more money.

Certainly, further, they stand to jeopordize the future of all open source software the world over, Large coporations can cross-license their products patent in exchange for other companies patents inorder to buy protection, but clearly without a large patent portfolio to protect yourself, you stand to take alegal beating.

Absolutely, the prospect of not having to purchase a new license for the same software (basically) every few years makes companies drool. Believe me I work for one.

Again, sure, useability has never been one of the focuses of linux, this most likely derives from its hacker (read: not cracker) roots. But recently thanks to groups like KDE and GNOME desktop linux is rapidly becoming an option.

NO!, despite what the FUD campaigns say windows is more expensive and less reliable, but dont take my word for it you have nothing to loose by trying it out (free remember)

Of course, just like it can do for any other platform.

That all depends on the environment, but in most cases I would think that the most important aspects of a coporate computing platform should be security and stability. Both things which windows sorely misses and that linux excells in.

7: if you work at a it company that sets up computers could you please put a rough price one figure of the cost to set up A: a nix network B: a windows network

Windows Computer (XP Pro license) $799
    Linux Computer (No license) $500

8: Does the fact that open source, is open to the public mean crackers can more easily crack the computers.

Not at all, it simply means that vulnerabilities (all software has vulnerabilities) are discovered and corrected much more effeciantly. Also you can have your own, trusted team look into an application. Rather than trusting that the developer made the application suffiantly secure.

9: Do you think that the push from big computer vendors will make people trust linux more

Some people perhaps, but I have never had much faith in the big computer vendors anyway so I cant say for sure

10: Do you think the fact that security updates come out more and a faster rate means linux is more insecure

No, like I mentioned above, it just means that the vulnerabilities are found and corrected more effeciantly.

I dont think so, the general "look-n-feel" of windows hasnt changd all that much since windows 95 was released (sure its been polished and made shiney, but its the same really). We have improved many aspects of computing, now we need to upgrade the interface, (look at Enlightenment DR17, its fresh, clean and fast, and has no resemblance to windows)

Well it depends on the angle you look at this. Windows has clearly cornered the market and used its might to attract customers and software developers, far better than linux has thus far. But as far as the operation of the system, no. And as software developers, and big vendors start to back linux, I feel that advantage may change as well

[hr:0d44bc143d]

Sorry if I duplicated anyone elses answer, but I chose not to read any other responses prior to writing my own.

Associate

Yes and no. Software patents are a huge pain in the ass and are the causes of most legal suits. These patents not only drive the overhead for the owning company, but the cost to the end user as well.

Cost is always an issue however, Linux brings better security and stability to the table. Companies are paying top dollar for security in software. Plus, they are getting locked in to expensive support contracts without choice by using any ms product.

Yes, very much so!!!!

All hogwash!!!!! ms is lashing out cause they are losing millions of dollars every year due to lost clients. Every company that switches over to Linux is lost revenue to them. Sure, losing four or five small companies will not hurt them, but they have lost some pretty big contracts in the last two or three years. They are in damage control mode cause they are afraid of Linux potential.

Yes, good example Quickbooks! Many companies use it and will not give it up. They are holding ms clients just for one app! If there was a Quickbooks for Linux port, you would see quite a few companies dropping ms like a charged hand grenade.

Hell no! Any winblows flavor is a liability to any company.

It costs me an average of $300-500 more to build a windows work station than it does to build a Linux workstation of the same hardware specs due to software licensing.

8: Does the fact that open source, is open to the public mean crackers can more easily crack the computers

No, cracks will always be attempted no matter what. It comes with the territory whether the code is open or not. The difference is the response time to plug the issue. Typically security issues with Linux will be fixed in a matter of hours upon being discovered. With windows, it may take days or sometimes longer before an issue is resolved. With open source, you have the entire world working on a solution, not just four or five underpaid code punchers in a back room in Redmond.

Yes and no! Computer savvy people will listen, however, about 70% of computer users are proud they can even turn the darn thing on and type then print a document.

No, quite the opposite in fact. Relates back to question #8

The windows gui has not really changed over the years. I think it is more of comfort thing for most users, personally, I love the fact that I can tinker with my Gnome desktop and customize it however I want. windows desktops are still limited at what you can do with it.

Lose data and CRASH!!!!!

Mentor
    Live your life like it was Linux!

Quote Originally Posted by N0thing";p="4526
    It might. But then again, so could the migratory patterns of canadian geese.

I've known some companies less willing to use it because it is free. So I would say so.

Who says it doesn't? I work in Linux Daily

No. It all comes down to (as a certain fobot would say) using the right tool for the job. You don't use a phillips head screwdriver on a flat head screw.

It could. Of course, so could a good Office alternative, or a nice gaming system

No. Most offices use computers for three things, email, internet and word processing. All of which can be done on Linux. The main thing keeping people from making the switch is the 10+ years of MS training they've had.

Um. Er. Um.... I don't do costs.... ??

In a way. It means the exploits are more widely known. It also means that they get patched a lot faster. It all depends on how often you patch your box. Uptimes are crap. Anyone boasting a long uptime is open to being cracked.

It might.

No. It means that the linux dev's pay more attention to fixing things. I bet the number of open issues in linux is considerably smaller than the number of open issues in MS.

people use what they know.

Its better at BSODing....

i cant thank you guys enough for the replies

this should really help