Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the slowest to the fastest internet speed??

Hybrid View

What is the slowest to the fastest internet speed??

Hello,

I always wanted to know. What is faster DSL or Cable?? Is DSL and Cable are both broadband?? What is a LAN?? What is high spped?? I know there are T1 and T3 but is there a T2?? What is the next highest speed after a T3?? What are the different speeds under the category of LAN?? What is the different categories under High Speed?? The same with broadband?? Is there anything slower then 56k?? My opion is pretty stupid to get something lower then a 56k modem.. What is a Satelite?? How fast is a Satelite?? If any of u guys have questions for me because u give me the info please let me know. After u answer these questions i might have more..

Re:What is the slowest to the fastest internet speed??

When dealing with broadband, there really isn't a way to say what is faster unless the area the service is coming from is known. Some Cable lines can be 128KBps - 6MBps download, and usually no more than 512KBps upload (at least so I've seen so far). DSL can also range from 128KBps - 6MBps download, but with a 128KBps - 6MBps upload depending on the type of DSL (Sync HDSL/SDSL ASync ADSL).

If you compared a Cable line that had speeds of 3MBps down 128KBps up, and a n ADSL line with 1.5MBps down 128KBps up, you would say the cable is faster. Sure it is at it's peak performance. Cable customers "share" a pipe, meaning when no one is on it you can get the speed of 3MBps/128KBps. When more users are on the line at the same time that speed is decreased since you are sharing the pipe. At peak times you might not get more than 60KBps/60KBps.

On the other hand, with DSL you have a fixed line that you know will "never" (unless your ISP changes it) change in speeds.

Now when you get into the commercial "T-Carrier" lines, like T1 T2 and T3, you are buying a lease to a line (aka leased line) that has a fixed synced rate like your H/SDSL. DS1/T1 is 1.544MBps/1.544MBps, DS2 with 6MBps/6MBps, and DS3/T3 at 44MBps/44MBps. When you want to go even faster, you hit the OC lines. The fastest being the OC-192 hitting speeds of 10GBps/10GBps.

A LAN is a Local Area Network. Is basically 2 or more computers communicating between them. Their means of communicating varies, from slow (infrared) to fast (sonnet rings.) In theory, you could have any kind of network topology inside a lan, but the most common nowadays are Ethernet/Fast Ethernet connections between pc's, ranging in speed from 10-100mb/s.
    A WAN is a more widespread version of a LAN, with computers located at different sites. You can think of the Internet as a very big, public WAN.

AFAIK, the slowest kind of connection is through infrared ports, then through COMM ports (might be wrong there.)

Then, you have phone modems, with speeds of 14k, 28.8k, 33.6k and 56k(actually 53 I think for real.)

After that, you have ISDN, which is a combination of two special phone lines and gives you 128k.

DSL and Cable are (commonly) around the same speed, ranging from 256kb/s to 10mb/s. Check this link. In theory, if you live in a heavily populated area, with many people using cable around you, it might slow down; however, in practice i have never seen it. Also, cable can reach higher speed. Of course, your provider is going to charge you for this.

A t1 is a specially made line composed of 12 cables, each running at 64kb/s. Thus, you can get such a thing as a Fractional t1, which is only a few of these lines, instead of the 12.

T2: A T2 is a digital carrier facility used to transmit a Digital Signal 2 (DS2) formatted digital carrier signal at 6.312 Mbps. This is the equivalent of 94 voice channels.

T3: A T3 line consists of 28 T1 lines or 44.736 million bits per second (commonly referred to as 45 Mbps). A T3 line can handle 672 voice conversations. T3 runs on fiber optic and is typically called FT3. See also T1.

ATM : Is a dedicated connection switching technology that organises digital data into 53 byte cell units and transmits them over a physical medium using digital signal technology. Individually, a cell is processed asynchronously relative to other related cells and is queued before being multiplexed over the transmission path. The pre-specified bit rates are either 155.520 Mbps or 622.080 Mbps, though speeds on ATM networks can reach 10 Gbps.

OC3 : Optical Carrier 3: an optical fibre line carrying 155mbps; a U.S. designation generally recognized throughout the telecommunications community worldwide.

OC12: An Optical Carrier 12 is a high-bandwidth "pipe" connection to the Internet operating at speeds 12 x 51.84 = 622.08 megabits per second.
    Equivalent to approximately 14 T3s.

There is also such thing as a Sonnet Ring (which I thing is the base for OC technology,) but i can't google anything about it. I will check my networking book tomorrow.

This is by no means an exhaustive list; just some of the things that are out there.

BTW, when you have a doubt on what something is, go to google and try

Code:
    define: whateveriwantotodefine

Also, Slashdot has been posting a lot of experimental networks lately, that have time and again broken record speeds (measured in terabytes!!!)

[quote author=Master Copy link=board=14;threadid=9158;start=0#msg82784 date=1083794914]
    When dealing with broadband, there really isn't a way to say what is faster unless the area the service is coming from is known. Some Cable lines can be 128KBps - 6MBps download, and usually no more than 512KBps upload (at least so I've seen so far). DSL can also range from 128KBps - 6MBps download, but with a 128KBps - 6MBps upload depending on the type of DSL (Sync HDSL/SDSL ASync ADSL).

If you compared a Cable line that had speeds of 3MBps down 128KBps up, and a n ADSL line with 1.5MBps down 128KBps up, you would say the cable is faster. Sure it is at it's peak performance. Cable customers "share" a pipe, meaning when no one is on it you can get the speed of 3MBps/128KBps. When more users are on the line at the same time that speed is decreased since you are sharing the pipe. At peak times you might not get more than 60KBps/60KBps.

On the other hand, with DSL you have a fixed line that you know will "never" (unless your ISP changes it) change in speeds.

Now when you get into the commercial "T-Carrier" lines, like T1 T2 and T3, you are buying a lease to a line (aka leased line) that has a fixed synced rate like your H/SDSL. DS1/T1 is 1.544MBps/1.544MBps, DS2 with 6MBps/6MBps, and DS3/T3 at 44MBps/44MBps. When you want to go even faster, you hit the OC lines. The fastest being the OC-192 hitting speeds of 10GBps/10GBps.
    [/quote]

Thanks for the info. Where would i get a cable from?? Where would i get a DSL from?? How much does an OC-192 run for?? How much does it cost to have someone run the sever?? Where would i get an OC-192 from??

You can get an OC connection orm a big company like AT&T. It can costs several hundred thousand dollars for the installation, plus several (hundred?) thousand dollars a month for service.

You can get cable or DSL from aprovider in your area. It usually runs from $40-$60 a month.

You can use http://www.dslreports.com/ to find a provider in your area.

Where would i get a cable from??
    From any Home Depot. ;D

Try your local cable company for a cable broadband connection :P

Where would i get a DSL from??
    DSL runs off the phone line. Guess where you can check to see if you can get it.

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=14;threadid=9158;start=0#msg82779 date=1083793247]Is there anything slower then 56k??[/quote]

wow [me=gorn]feels old... and i'm young![/me]

I remember the day my parents got me a 56k modem for my birthday, and I could retire that crappy 14.4... oh what a glorious day!

[quote author=gorn link=board=14;threadid=9158;start=0#msg82795 date=1083806774]
    [quote author=dsantamassino link=board=14;threadid=9158;start=0#msg82779 date=1083793247]Is there anything slower then 56k??[/quote]

wow [me=gorn]feels old... and i'm young![/me]

I remember the day my parents got me a 56k modem for my birthday, and I could retire that crappy 14.4... oh what a glorious day!
    [/quote]

Haha...that reminds me of back in the day. Me and my friend used to check out all the local bbs's...that was before I got internet. She did it on a 2400 baud modem. You could make a sandwich while the screen loaded, and the screen was all ascii

So guys, are we running an 14k modem?? lol. I had to ask that.. I have 56k and it's really slow. Does any of u have an OC at your house but not at work?? I don't have that kind of money..