Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Ultra Sparc 5 Processor SunOS

Thread: Ultra Sparc 5 Processor SunOS

Hybrid View

Ultra Sparc 5 Processor SunOS

Alright. In my school, someone donated a Ultra Sparc 5 processor with SunOS 5.7 (?) on it. But we want to install the latest Solaris 9 to be installed on there so we can mess with it. But I and my teacher tried to figure out how to boot from the cd and couldn't. Has anyone worked with Sparcs before and how can I get to the BIOS, if such a thing exists?

Thanks!

Kind Mastermind

Re:Ultra Sparc 5 Processor SunOS

I was searching a bit and found the following this idea:
    Head on over to docs.sun.com and look up the OpenBoot commands.
    The thread from LinuxQuestions.org that the quote came from is here. It's in reference to an Ultra 60 workstation, but the docs site might have info on how to boot an UltraSparc5 as well. HTH

Cheers

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=10;threadid=9150;start=0#msg82745 date=1083727524]
    I was searching a bit and found the following this idea:
    Head on over to docs.sun.com and look up the OpenBoot commands.
    The thread from LinuxQuestions.org that the quote came from is here. It's in reference to an Ultra 60 workstation, but the docs site might have info on how to boot an UltraSparc5 as well. HTH

Cheers
    [/quote]

Thank you very very much! k++

EDIT: Thanks! I found the answer on http://docs.sun.com : you should hit Stop + A simultaneously and type in boot cdrom.
    or Halt will also do.
    Thanks!

Speaking of said sparc machine, does anyone have wiring diagrams for a sparc mouse vs a ps/2 mouse. The amount of pins differ, and I'm hoping sun just put in some extra pins or crap just to get a "standard"

[quote author=countach44 link=board=10;threadid=9150;start=0#msg82920 date=1084001851]
    Speaking of said sparc machine, does anyone have wiring diagrams for a sparc mouse vs a ps/2 mouse. The amount of pins differ, and I'm hoping sun just put in some extra pins or crap just to get a "standard"
    [/quote]

In Case, we are referring to the same topic, Solin said he asked one of his "friends" and they have used Sun Type 5 mice and he would be getting on soon...

I'm still gonna pop open the old one and see if everything's okay. Can't break it anymore.