Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For XP users what does this Warning message means??

For XP users what does this Warning message means??

Hi,

I have XP Pro and i was running System Mechanic Pro 4.0a to defrag my C: and D: drives. On drive D: it encountered a problem. I will write out the Warning message below. Will someone tell me what it means and how to fix it??

Warning

System Mechanic encountered a problem while attempting to defragment the current drive: D:, this is usually indicates physical corruption on the disk surface, or other such structural issues. A through Scandisk operation (including disk surface scan) is recommended before attempting to defragment the drive again. For more information on scandisk consult the Windows Documentation.

I ran Scandisk on D: drive and it found no problems. Thanks..

Re:For XP users what does this Warning message means??

Physical corruption means (I think) that you may have bad sectors. However, scandisk should, in theory, detect those. If you ran Scandisk and it did not found a problem, it may be another "structural issue" as referred to by the error message.

My suggestion is to check the software manufacturer's website and see what they say.

This is what i found. The exact link for it.

http://www.iolo.com/knowledgebase.cfm#searching

[quote author=dsantamassino link=board=25;threadid=9138;start=0#msg82640 date=1083527633]

[/quote]
    The link you sent is not working. Also, I thought your error message was from a Symantec product. Why are you looking on Iolo.com?

[quote author=trickster link=board=25;threadid=9138;start=0#msg82642 date=1083529464]
    [quote author=dsantamassino link=board=25;threadid=9138;start=0#msg82640 date=1083527633]

[/quote]
    The link you sent is not working. Also, I thought your error message was from a Symantec product. Why are you looking on Iolo.com?

[/quote]

No my error isn't from Symanttec. It's from lolo.. System Mechanic is from lolo. System Mechanic is the tool i tried to defragment my drive and got an error with.

Out of curiosity is this on FAT or NTFS?

As of right now it's on NTFS.. I had it on FAT32 for a while and i still got the error. So the answer to your question is NTFS.

Hmm... so my guess is that it's not an issue with the journal?

[quote author=countach44 link=board=25;threadid=9138;start=0#msg82647 date=1083532207]
    Hmm... so my guess is that it's not an issue with the journal?
    [/quote]
    Scandisk would have found it.

Derek,

Your link did not work. I'd suggest you check their website and follow any instructions you might find there.

I didn't find any instructions. What i did was went to the link about and copy/paste my message in the search box and it came up with some links but i don't think it will fix my problems. Even though the whole Warning message doesn't fit in the search box. It's System Mechanic 4 Professional and i searched for any of the words and it came up with several of links but i don't think it was nothing for me.

I was looking in google for some good hard drive forums but didn't really come across too much. Does anyone know of hard drive forums??