Thread: The Further Office Adventures of CGA

The Further Office Adventures of CGA

Well, I am managing to use OpenOffice.org for about 85-90% of my work now. I find that M$ Word actually has more problems between versions (2000, 2003, XP) than OOo Writer has with any version of M$ Word. Plus, OOo is a much better WP than Word, IMHO. Thus, I use Writer almost exclusively.

The Excel problems are being dealt with. The problem seems to be with taking older, pre-existing spreadsheets which have been passed around between various versions of M$ Office and getting them to work well in Calc. If I create a new sheet and export it from Calc, it seems to not have the problems (mostly with fonts getting hoarked and formating issues).

I am working on updating most of the legacy M$ stuff. I have also managed to convert our standard company report Word template to an OOo template, and that has been a big productivity booster.

Once we migrate the other users in my office to Linux/OOo, I think a lot of the problems will go bye-bye.

Good Guru

Re:The Further Office Adventures of CGA

Great to hear ....

Like they always says, convert them to use cross-platform applications to use if you can't have them convert to underlying OS yet such as web browsers and office applications. Once they are familiar with OSS applications on Windows, it's a lot more easier to change underlying OS since most users don't give a crap about what OS they are on.

I use OOo extensively to run my small business ( and Win2k with Office Pro 2K on one box just for the sake of compartibility with my partner large head office ). I KNOW that OOo is a lot more superior in terms of stability and usefulness. Or that I tend to change my computing behavior to suite the program I'm being used than to bitch about how it's not the same as OTHER office programs. I guess.

Good luck with your endeavor.

I find Gnumeric to have really good compatibility with MS-Excel spreadsheets.

Ever tried pasting gnumeric charts into OOo writer documents? I'm curious if it works. I do that with OOo calc, I've never tried gnumeric.