Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Fedora Core 2 Test 3 Released
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fedora Core 2 Test 3 Released

Fedora Core 2 Test 3 Released

Here is the slashdot article:

Fedora Core 2 Test 3

I will try it as soon as the final version comes out.
    http://fedora.redhat.com/

Re:Fedora Core 2 Test 3 Released

I have test3 running (thank dog for 700kb/s finnish servers) - it's quite nice.

my main complains are still that the cds include KDE (in fedora terms it's really a secondary DE and should go on Fedora Extra), there's no mp3 or mono support (legal issues), the SELinux work makes rpm spit out a lot of junk, anjuta is missing and so on...

But it's probably the best distro out there regardless.

[quote author=BSD p0rn master link=board=7;threadid=9112;start=0#msg82477 date=1083191488]
    I have test3 running (thank dog for 700kb/s finnish servers) - it's quite nice.

my main complains are still that the cds include KDE (in fedora terms it's really a secondary DE and should go on Fedora Extra), there's no mp3 or mono support (legal issues), the SELinux work makes rpm spit out a lot of junk, anjuta is missing and so on...

But it's probably the best distro out there regardless.
    [/quote]

Do you know what exactly is the issue because I have heard that Debian also has some of these legal issues? You cannot distribute xmms?

Anyways, thanks for the review! I will consider it as soon as it releases (final version). This is the final test version, no?

Thanks!

Basically everyone has this issue. The licensing from the owners of the MP3 format states that you can freely distribute mp3 decoders if you don't make money on it.

Now Redhat doesn't directly make money on the decoder, but their OS - this is a grey area when it comes to the licensing, and the owners won't give a clear answer.

Now debian removes mp3 support for the same reason, plus the fact that it's freedom restricting.

[quote author=BSD p0rn master link=board=7;threadid=9112;start=0#msg82482 date=1083192512]
    Basically everyone has this issue. The licensing from the owners of the MP3 format states that you can freely distribute mp3 decoders if you don't make money on it.

Now Redhat doesn't directly make money on the decoder, but their OS - this is a grey area when it comes to the licensing, and the owners won't give a clear answer.

Now debian removes mp3 support for the same reason, plus the fact that it's freedom restricting.
    [/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up!

Please do note that there are external repos that distribute the needed applications and plugins required for mp3 decoding.

But the free Ogg Vorbis and FLAC codecs are still supported and they are technically superior.

[quote author=BSD p0rn master link=board=7;threadid=9112;start=0#msg82485 date=1083194463]
    Please do note that there are external repos that distribute the needed applications and plugins required for mp3 decoding.

But the free Ogg Vorbis and FLAC codecs are still supported and they are technically superior.
    [/quote]

After installing the distro(Fedora, Debian, etc), we can ourselves download a mp3 decoder right?

[quote author=shebang link=board=7;threadid=9112;start=0#msg82486 date=1083196594]
    [quote author=BSD p0rn master link=board=7;threadid=9112;start=0#msg82485 date=1083194463]

[/quote]

After installing the distro(Fedora, Debian, etc), we can ourselves download a mp3 decoder right?
    [/quote]

http://www.linuxforum.com/linux-mp3.php

that might help, though the link for the rpm i think is broken for the download, you could try this link...

http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=1547

[quote author=burntash link=board=7;threadid=9112;start=0#msg82489 date=1083201788]
    [quote author=shebang link=board=7;threadid=9112;start=0#msg82486 date=1083196594]

[/quote]

[/quote]

http://www.linuxforum.com/linux-mp3.php

that might help, though the link for the rpm i think is broken for the download, you could try this link...

http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=1547
    [/quote]

Thank you very very much.

downloading it right now... will be installing it tomorrow

i'll post my comments on it in a couple of days