Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LinuxFoo Distro?

LinuxFoo Distro?

I've never made a distro before. Could this be a LinuxFoo project? Something to work on when we're procrastinating from doing what we (read: I) actually should?

Behold: Foonix! The distro for the criminally insane. (Perfect for Fatal Error, No?)

Mentor

Re: LinuxFoo Distro?

8) :shock: Hey man, as long as its Open-Source!

Just ran the new Knoppix Live CD. 3 kliks and the GeForce FX 5200 was up and running. Thats on the Live CD. If that can happen whats the problem with getting it up and running on a HD install? That Live CD from Knoppix is perfect, just don't put it on the HD.'

Pugio, There has been talk here and on tinyminds.org (mostly the same suspects) and the talent is in the house. Just that some of them have lives, such as they are. Time, after work and then a few hours of gaming and a trip to the saloon, well.....

I'll burn copies for sale or hand-out if it gets done!

There's been talk of doing one as FE said. There was talk on LNO before as well. Its a huge undertaking. One that not many have the time for, and it usually falls apart (I don't think the LNO one ever picked a type of package management, but they had a nice site up about the distro they were planning).

Besides, there are too many distros out there. If you truly want to do something, create a new os!

this is an awesome idea id be willing to help and learn as i go but as stated there are so many distros 300 plus i think if anything, if this is to be pursued, take something like debian, gentoo, slackware, and make it better one hell of a project would to make a graphical installer for debian or gentoo and not anaconda just saying why add more to the mess when we can improve whats already there

I definitely think if we are going to create a brand new OS, that we should write the kernel in Java. :lol:

...don't hurt me mac..
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

IMHO I think with all the zillion linux distros out there... there is no need to create one right now If you want you can just put in more effort into some distro like Mepis and help those guys to improve more.

Ok ok ok. So how bout having an "official" foo distro? That way we can all put work into some promising distro and be assured perfect compatibility with each other.

Btw, regarding a graphical Debian installer, I have been thinking about this for a while. I would think the simplest/easiest way would be to use a knoppix type distro to boot a minimal kernel. From there we can present a nicely layed out graphical interface...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugio";p="4493
    Ok ok ok. So how bout having an "official" foo distro?
    Hmm, I don't think that would work considering the almost-flame wars we have had concerning favorite distros.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by jro";p="4497
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugio";p="4493
    Ok ok ok. So how bout having an "official" foo distro?
    Hmm, I don't think that would work considering the almost-flame wars we have had concerning favorite distros.
    as long as it wasn't written in java.... ;p

I don't think java would work for a kernel. Its not a low enough level language is it?