Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedtouch USB and Drake 10.0?

Speedtouch USB and Drake 10.0?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has got the Speedtouch USB modem (the green stingray!) working with Drake 10.0? I've had a poke around the internet, but haven't found anything definite one way or the other.

If anyone has got it set up, please could you either let me know how or point me in the direction of some instructions? I did find some instructions, but they were written before Drake 10.0 was released.

Ta, Chris

Re:Speedtouch USB and Drake 10.0?

Thanks Trickster, that doesn't look too hard. ;D

HTH .

Update : I tried recompiliing the Kernel following the instructions in the link Trickster posted, and when it reached the usb.c module it kept failing with errors. (Can't remember what the message was)

Three times this happened, each time my heart sank as it fell over, leaving me with a kernel which didn't support usb at all. Bugger. In the end I gave up and went back to Drake 9.1.

This was annoying, it seemed to work for everyone else, two different sets of kernel source code fell over with the same error message, plus I wasn't using my nice new distro. Finally this morning I was having another look at the code and it hit me!

I've only ever commented shell scripts before, where all I need to do is prefix the line with a #. I'd worked out that in this case I needed to use /* instead, but not that I also needed to put */ at the end of the line. :-[

I'm off work on Friday and will give it another try then, when I expect much more satisfactory results!

Still doesn't bloody work! >

I successfully recompiled the kernel after having corrected the usb.c file and rebooted using the new kernel. I ran Drakconnect, and supplied the mgmt.o file on a floppy when requested. After completing the wizard it tried to connect to the internet and failed.

I tried rebooting, and now I have an icon in my taskbar that says that the network is down.

Can anyone point to me a tutorial or something that goes through the whole process? Getting my old BT Voyager to work was easier than this!

Hi,

Getting the device to be recognized, and getting a network connection are 2 different things.

Lets check first to see if you have a network driver loaded (if that is what your kernel configuration did.)

what is the result of the command

Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig
    ?

Hi Trickster. The kernel recompile was to fix a bug in the 2.6 kernel which gave it problems with the speedtouch modem, as linked to above.

The output from ifconfig is:

[root@localhost chris]# /sbin/ifconfig
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:50 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:50 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:3280 (3.2 Kb) TX bytes:3280 (3.2 Kb)

[root@localhost chris]#

Try something like

Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    or

Code:
    ifconfig usb0 up
    Also, check these links:
    http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.ze-linux.org/howto.html?i..._docs_page=154
    http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.p...p;#entry104933
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DSL-HOWTO/speedtouchusb.html

Sorry i can't be of more help, but i don't use either mandrake or that type of modem.

Still no joy. Both the suggested ifconfig commands return "device not found". I've downloaded the speedtouchconf package, and that's reporting "USB bus not found" although my USB printer works fine!

I'll give this one more go, and if it won't work I'm going to go back to either Drake 9.1 or SuSE 9.

Thanks for your help anyway, I can't be easy trying to think of solutions when you don't have the same setup.