Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Counter culture - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Counter culture

Quote Originally Posted by Pugio";p="4453
    What kind of nut is this guy?? I can't stand people who feel they have to identify with some specific cultural element (be it "counter-culture", "established-culture", or "cult-shure") and then say they can't interact with people who are outside of their element.

Of course everyone is free to do/act as they will - but do they have to go all high and mighty as soon as they're set in their own little cultural rut? Why can't we just all live and let live?

Wow that sounds alot like my High School, I always used to wonder why all of the anti-social kids would flock together, calling everyone who didnt dress/talk/walk/act exactly like them "conformists"

My girl referenced the issue of cultures and social standings and the norm's of society and i have come to the conclusion that this topic is fire it would be wise for me to make this my last post on this topic
    Wenn Sie Spaß meines Englisch mich Willensfuckingtötung Sie bilden.

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate everyone candor. My initial reaction was alot like Pugio's, I was pissed, it was like this guy whom I had been friedns with for a long time was telling me that I had made a mistake in life and because of that I could never understand what he was talking about because he was of such an elevated position that stupid little "conformists" like myself could never grasp the gravity of the situation befalling him. I have to admit I am still a little bent out of shape over this, but what snct said really made me ease up.

Then I started to wonder what exactly is counter culture? Is it just non-conformity? But then you could argue that non-conformists just conform to a less popular trend. So in the end aren't people that are counter culture just living life the way THEY think it should be lived? But that applies to everyone, so is there really a counter culture?

Wow, now my head hurts. Getting a little off topic for a linux forum I suppose. Thanks for all the input.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Mentor
    Iconoclasts

What the hey are you talking about Fatal?
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Mentor

Re: Counter culture

Iconoclasts = one who attacks widely accepted ideas,beliefs, etc.

The opposite of Conventional Wisdom. Its nothing to do with clothes or fads, its ideas. Mostly its attacking those who have no ideas, the clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by jro";p="4477
    Then I started to wonder what exactly is counter culture? Is it just non-conformity? But then you could argue that non-conformists just conform to a less popular trend. So in the end aren't people that are counter culture just living life the way THEY think it should be lived? But that applies to everyone, so is there really a counter culture?

There is no real "counter-culture". My philosophy is just to act how I want without caring what other people think. Of course, there's such a thing as taking that too far. You don't want people to think you're nuts. If they thought that, they might lump you in with the "lunatic-culture", and we can't have that now can we?

Mentor

Cargo-cults

[/quote]There is no real "counter-culture".[quote]

Where are there no counter-cultures? Why?
    There are more people living apart from the norms of society today than ever before. Of course I would never expect anyone to embrace such a thing but...

Look at the sub-30 crowd in Japan, wow they are living in another world.
    Look at maccorin, no wait, don't look at maccorin.
    There are lots of my friends that don't fit in any mold, Try the expat. world, thats different. Isn't the Linux crowd a bit different?

http://www.pulpfiction.com/rave/groovinkim/links2.html
    http://home.earthlink.net/~emmarosenthal/id6.html
    http://www.zenzibar.com/

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of teachers, elders or wise men. Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all. Then accept it and live up to it."
    --The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutra

https://vault2.secured-url.com/counter_culture_secure/

http://www.lisnews.com/gimme_quote.pl (library people last of the thinkers)

Mentor

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." --Mark Twain

[/quote] If one person calls you a jack ass, let it roll off your back.
    If many people call you a jack ass better jump on the horse[quote] --Poppop <--My girls late Grandfather
    Wenn Sie Spaß meines Englisch mich Willensfuckingtötung Sie bilden.