Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counter culture

Counter culture

<rant>
    I was talking to a friend this past weekend and we was mad about something. I asked him what was going on and he said I couldn't understand because I wan't counter culture. I can surmise a meaning based on the words but this didn't make any sense to me. Granted my friend likes his tattoos and piercings (in all their pleantitude), but I am still having a hard time understanding what the hell he was talking about.

Is this some sort of merit badge? Is it because I have a wife, kid and a mortgage? Or could it be because I am good at what I do so I was able to get a good job that allows me to not live in a state of perpetual bankruptcy? WTF?
    </rant>

Alright, I feel a little better now.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Re: Counter culture

Good friends are hard to come by (and sometimes can be hard to keep also). Concentrate on what makes you guys friends and don't worry about the rest. Heh... Easy for me to say, eh? Take it for what it's worth.
    Steve

Mentor

snct said:
    Concentrate on what makes you guys friends and don't worry about the rest.
    Thats the truth.

JRO, You are doing good, just remember that lifestyle is like distros, run what works for you!

Advisor
    Being out of the mainstream is a badge of pride for many people, I definitaly understand that, it's kind of the same with me, but you shouldn't be ridiculed for having a good job/house/wife/kids.

Of course, if you were _really_ mainstream, you wouldn't be here, now would you?

Mentor
    Maybe he is a spy? He might just be here for the beer and camaraderie. Maybe its the extra cheese.

counterculture
    n : a culture with lifestyles and values opposed to those of the
    established culture.
    I couldn't find a meaning for established culture.
    I will ask my girl when she comes home she's a psychology major.
    I am thinking he is basicly trying to say that you wouldn't understand his problem's because your of 2 differant social standings.
    So i would say your friend is having a hard time with his life right now.
    You should talk to him and maybe try to help.

1st im sort of in that counter culture im classified as goth so i think i may know where hes coming from and it seems like comtux hit it on the head he may be having a hard time with something you just need to find out what
    i cant list how many times my friends have lashed out at me and a few tried to take a swing at me because they though i wouldnt understand

also people of counter culture do hold their status/place as very high
    another note is that there are different variations of counter culture
    from what i notice people see the rock scene(for example) as one big culture some are very deep and others light what im saying is there are variations

offering help is double edged sword though because he may think your saYing that he cant help/handle himself.

but to me it does seem something is up for a friend that is very well known and a good friend to lash out usually means he need some sort of advice/(having trouble) ill try to post more if i can think of anything else

good luck

<rant>

What kind of nut is this guy?? I can't stand people who feel they have to identify with some specific cultural element (be it "counter-culture", "established-culture", or "cult-shure") and then say they can't interact with people who are outside of their element.

Of course everyone is free to do/act as they will - but do they have to go all high and mighty as soon as they're set in their own little cultural rut? Why can't we just all live and let live?

</rant>

As you can see, I have had some experiences with this issue myself. I'm sorry for insulting your friend, people here are right and he's probably just going through a hard time. It seems people have an in-built need to classify themselves as "us" againt/or "them". I could probably go into a whole philosophical shpiel, but I already closed my <rant> tags so I will end with this:

Ignore all cultural insinuations coming from your pal. Just smile and keep working on his problem/issue. You know that you can understand him. You just have to show him that too.

Of course, I should probably take my own advice

Mentor
    This is great, keep rolling on.

Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugio";p="4453
    <rant>

What kind of nut is this guy?? I can't stand people who feel they have to identify with some specific cultural element (be it "counter-culture", "established-culture", or "cult-shure") and then say they can't interact with people who are outside of their element.

Of course everyone is free to do/act as they will - but do they have to go all high and mighty as soon as they're set in their own little cultural rut? Why can't we just all live and let live?

</rant>

As you can see, I have had some experiences with this issue myself. I'm sorry for insulting your friend, people here are right and he's probably just going through a hard time. It seems people have an in-built need to classify themselves as "us" againt/or "them". I could probably go into a whole philosophical shpiel, but I already closed my <rant> tags so I will end with this:

Ignore all cultural insinuations coming from your pal. Just smile and keep working on his problem/issue. You know that you can understand him. You just have to show him that too.

Of course, I should probably take my own advice
    I get what your saying, but many people think they are getting ass-fucked by "the man" (whomever "the man" is to them... .gov .mil .M$, their boss, coorporate america in general, those crazy americans... the list never ends), and being "counter-culture" is more like being "anti-the-fucking-man" (read previous definition of "the man"). Funny thing is they are promoting culture by being "counter-culture" (myself included in many ways as i said earlier). And they themselves are becoming "the man" to others....

reminds me of that whole anti-art thing where people put toilets on walls, and then all of a sudden people think _they_ were artists