Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Using Internal Dns Server, Cannot Resolve names

Thread: Using Internal Dns Server, Cannot Resolve names

Using Internal Dns Server, Cannot Resolve names

Hi Linux Gurus,

I configured a Primary and Secondary DNS Server on my LAN.

PRI DNS
    EXT 20x.xxx.xxx.61
    LAN 192.168.0.1

SEC DNS
    EXT 20x.xxx.xxx.62
    LAN 192.168.0.2

I have the following condition:

- Both servers, have valid external IP addresses.
    - Both can resolve names from outside.
    - Both have the ff:

/etc/resolv.conf

domain domain.com
    search ns1.domain.com ns2.domain.com domain.com
    nameserver 20x.xxx.1 //ISP PRI DNS
    nameserver 20x.xxx.2 //ISP SEC DNS
    nameserver 127.0.0.1

My db.domain

IN NS ns1.domain.com.
    IN NS ns2.domain.com.

1 IN PTR ns1.domain.com.
    2 IN PTR ns2.domain.com.
    3 IN PTR pub.domain.com.

My db.20x.xxx.xxx

MX 10 20x.xxx.xxx.14
    MX 20 mail

$ORIGIN domain.com.
    localhost IN A 127.0.0.1
    ns2 IN A 20x.xxx.xxx.62
    ns1 IN A 20x.xxx.xxx.61
    pub IN A 20x.xxx.xxx.60

../named.conf //Local PRI DNS Server
    options {
    directory "/var/named";
    allow-transfer { 20x.xxx.xxx.62; };
    allow-query { trusted; };
    allow-recursion { trusted; };
    blackhole { bogon; };
    tcp-clients 1024;
    // forwarders { none; };
    };

My problem was, when I use my LOCAL DNS Server to act as DNS Server for my network I cannot resolve names.
    My client have the following entries:

DNS Servers:

But can resolve names using my ISP DNS Servers. What could be the problem?

Hope you can help me.

Thanks and more power.

Good Guru

Re:Using Internal Dns Server, Cannot Resolve names

I havent been around lately, but now I am. Ill take a look at this if you havent resolved it. Busy as a cheap whores beaver was my middle name.

[quote author=Slave Copy link=board=4;threadid=9100;start=0#msg82632 date=1083523543]
    I havent been around lately, but now I am. Ill take a look at this if you havent resolved it. Busy as a cheap whores beaver was my middle name.
    [/quote]

Thank you for your reply. I was able to resolve from my LAN. But it seems using my ISP DNS were faster in resolving names rather that I have here on my network. Do you think this is normal?

Good Guru

If you are talking about WAN side names, may be. Since your DNS server has to do syncing with others, it will take some time. It's not even worth the time it takes to set up (except of course to just get used to) just to use a few boxes with own DNS server. It's a lot easier and faster to use ISP's. But if you have a mid-sized network and wants to minimize traffic, then running your own DNS server makes sense.

The problem is that you need to set your internal DNS servers to use forwarders or you have to set up a root hints file.

Forwarders will send and requests they cannot themselves resolve to an upstream nameserver (this can be your ISPs NS).

or

Root hints will tell your servers what root servers to query for requests.

I'm not familiar with BIND, but in the world of DNS, you will need to configure one of these two options. They might be worth investigation.

Here's how I have mine setup. The one I use on the internal net will forward to the one on the DMZ, and the one on the DMZ to the outside ISP DNS caching. After they delegate, you "should" be good to go. Don't forget to dig in the event that you are in doubt.

dig @ns1.domain.com host1.domain.com

nslookup is good as well to look for internal host names.

I'm not too sure if this will effect your system, but on mine, I have to add a domain search line to my resolv.conf like so:

domain fakedomain.com
    nameserver 10.2.1.1 <-- (internal first)
    nameserver 10.2.2.1

Hope that helps.

Good Guru

Well, my setup is what seemed natural and is actually pretty simple (I think).

I setup DNS on my server. The primary DNS server is that one, and the two that the ISP issued me are second and third. Since obviously www.linuxjunior.org isnt listed in my DNS server, it goes out to the next one, which has it. No real slow down that I noticed. A cold day in hell will make me even think about trying to sync my DNS to the real world DNS. I dont feel like doing that ... ever ;;; EVER !!

tolstoy,

Thansk for your reply.

I had an entry on my DNS allowing forwarder options:

options {
    directory "/var/named";
    forwarders { my ISP PRI DNS; ISP SEC DNS; };
    };

// Root server hints
    zone "." { type hint; file "db.cache"; };

[quote author=Slave Copy link=board=4;threadid=9100;start=0#msg82964 date=1084053147]
    Well, my setup is what seemed natural and is actually pretty simple (I think).

I setup DNS on my server. The primary DNS server is that one, and the two that the ISP issued me are second and third. Since obviously www.linuxjunior.org isnt listed in my DNS server, it goes out to the next one, which has it. No real slow down that I noticed. A cold day in hell will make me even think about trying to sync my DNS to the real world DNS. I dont feel like doing that ... ever ;;; EVER !!
    [/quote]

Hmm, Indeed your setup were quite simple.

Do you mean, that even if you had a direct connection to your ISP you still prefer to use your oWN DNS for your server? How about your workstations?