Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warez Crackdown

Warez Crackdown

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...0423024872.htm

Looks like our friends the RIAA and the MPAA helped out some.

Mentor

Re:Warez Crackdown

damn it !!! now i'm going to have to start paying for software !!!

I found the replys at the bottom of the article more interesting than the article itself.

Mentor

This guy makes sence.....

a guy says 'theft is theft' but nothing has been stolen as far as i can see, only duplicated

software theft is a misnomer as the original legal owner still retains their copy and usage, so piracy is not theft but is unlawful replication and distribution

for example, if i steal your wallet you are left without your money , but if i made an exact copy of your wallet, you still have your money , and so do i ... how can this be theft??

IMHO, warez is like drug dealers as long as there is drugs there is going to be some one to sell the stuff. When the police arrest a dealer there is usually someone there to take his place.

Same with software, as long people develop it there will be a modern day robin hood to crack it and give it away. Arrest one cracker or shut down a warez site and one will pop up tomorrow with a different name somewhere else.

copying songs, movies and software isn't theft.. it's copyright violation.

it bothers me too see that law enforcement agencies are spending so much money on going after warez people while killers and rapists and muggers and whatnot often get away with it

oh wait, it's like Clinton said: "it's the economy, stupid"... he ment in a different context but it applies to this as well

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=14;threadid=9085;start=0#msg82239 date=1082764376]
    it bothers me too see that law enforcement agencies are spending so much money on going after warez people while killers and rapists and muggers and whatnot often get away with it
    [/quote]
    It's easier for them to go after warez people...sad to say.

Also, the type of people who tend to get murdered and raped aren't very wealthy or paying much into the system.

Thats right. If they are busy getting murdered or raped, they cant spend the $15 or so for a crappy cd or $20-30 for a friggin dvd. <Mr. Roger's Voice>Can you say "Special Interest Groups" boys and girls? I knew you could.</MRV>

[quote author=vvx link=board=14;threadid=9085;start=0#msg82380 date=1083030396]
    Also, the type of people who tend to get murdered and raped aren't very wealthy or paying much into the system.
    [/quote]
    Geez, I was not aware there was a kind of people that got raped or murdered...
    I wonder if that 11 year old girl who got raped and murdered in Florida was of "that" type?
    Or that other college student Dru something that was on the news?
    :