Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows vs. Linux- Which is easier to install?

Re:Windows vs. Linux- Which is easier to install?

[quote author=trickster link=board=13;threadid=9075;start=0#msg82164 date=1082648866]

Well, I have done a Mandrake 9.2 Install, Red Hat 9 Install, and Lorma Linux Install (Lorma Universities' Linux). All of these, I consider to be easy. I have also done a Windows XP Install and a Windows 98 Install. Even though all of these easy, I think even though Windows Installs are easy, you have no idea what it is doing. IT has no verbose mode at all. However in Linux, (i have installed over 25 distros now), you know what is going on. YOu can learn more about the computers that way. Plus Windows Installer is blue.
    Problem is, Joe User does not want to know what he is doing. He just wants to get his monitor to flicker on and give him pr0n.
    [/quote]

Yes. I agree. And I agree with Ralinx as well. SInce M$ is not free, you have to go through a lot of trouble installing any applications. Plus, even if you do a full XP Install, it only comes with very few apps and no office. While, when you do a full Linux (any distro) install, you get a whole lot more. ANd 1/2 the apps that come with XP, are useless for a daily user while most of the apps that come with Linux are useful for everyone.

Linux is easier- Easier to control. Amount of control is proportional to ease of use for me.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Good Guru

[quote author=boblucci link=board=13;threadid=9075;start=0#msg82170 date=1082656267]isn't that why the internet was invented??
    [/quote]
    Exactly. Trying to hide more than a couple boxes worth of p0rn is not easy. With all those big HDDs, it's a snap. And the main reason for inventing large HDDs are same as well; p0rn. ;D

Good Guru

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=13;threadid=9075;start=0#msg82172 date=1082660341]
    Given a completely blank hard disk, it would be trivial to change the installer to allocate 2-3x the user's RAM for swap, and the rest for /. If you do that transparently, the user is left facing an XP install with less offensive colours.
    [/quote]
    I agree. Most of the install problem come from trying to customized an install without full ( sufficient? ) understanding of how computer works ( and how each OS define what on the same hardware ). The last time I had full install of RH 7.3 on a friend's totally new box, RH even let me play Tetris clone while it's installing in background. The best hour that I've spent so far installing OSes.

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=13;threadid=9075;start=0#msg82261 date=1082835884]
    [quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=13;threadid=9075;start=0#msg82172 date=1082660341]
    Given a completely blank hard disk, it would be trivial to change the installer to allocate 2-3x the user's RAM for swap, and the rest for /. If you do that transparently, the user is left facing an XP install with less offensive colours.
    [/quote]
    I agree. Most of the install problem come from trying to customized an install without full ( sufficient? ) understanding of how computer works ( and how each OS define what on the same hardware ). The last time I had full install of RH 7.3 on a friend's totally new box, RH even let me play Tetris clone while it's installing in background. The best hour that I've spent so far installing OSes.
    [/quote]

I agree 100%. I have been lately spreading propaganda *linux-related*. I went to CompUSA yesterday and there was this semi-young person who was fed up with uh..Windows ME because it kept crashing non-native software (Firefox, Mozilla, etc.) but he wanted to upgrade to XP. IT seems he had troubles with some *.dll files so I suggest a Unix-Based distro for him. Obviously, Linux. I also warned him that this was NOT going to be as "user-friendly" as M$ but he said he was an explorer. I suggested FC1 to play with and I gave him my email-address, etc.I sent him an email with http://www.linux.org in it so that he can learn about Linux first and today, I got an email that he already installed Fedora Core 1 on his laptop and he got his wireless to work AND he is using GNOME. He also notified that he learnt a lot about computers yesterday and today. I was happy. So I think it depends on the user whether installing Linux is easier or not and how much you tend to learn and how easy it is for you.

Great job shebang!!!

The problem is you can't compare linux to windows. Because, when you get down to it, you have to ask, which windows and which linux? If the reviews Windows vs Linux compare Redhat with it's fine Anaconda installer, likely they'll come to the conclusion that Linux is about the same or just slightly more complex to install. Compare Debian, and Linux is much more complex to install than Windows.

So, it's easier, and harder, and that cannot be. It's either easier or harder, if the blanket statement applies. Of course it doesn't, which is why any comparison should not try to call itself a comparison of linux vs windows, but rather a comparison of redhat vs windows, or debian vs windows, or gentoo vs windows, etc. Now, obviously "joe sixpack" ain't gonna know what debian or redhat is, so it's fine to acknowledge it's a linux distribution.. but, you're not comparing Linux as a whole.