Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Automount Windows share on linux

Thread: Automount Windows share on linux

Automount Windows share on linux

Hi Gurus,

I am trying to automount windows share on my linux machine using the following entries on fstab:

//winserver/share /mnt/win smbfs credentials=/etc/samba/auto.r

vi /etc/samba/auto.r
    username=winuser
    password=winuserpass

Then, after restarting linux and accessing the mount share the following error can be seen:

# ls /mnt/win
    Input/output error

What could be missing? I can however, mount windows partition using smbmount command.

Thanks and more power.

Re:Automount Windows share on linux

I got that on a samba share once, I restarted the computer and it wouldn't even mount the drive, I ran an fsck on it and found the drive was corrupted and had to fix it. That's probably not the case if you can access the drive.

Code:
    //sparches/c /net/msmachine smbfs username=pbharris,password=thisisabadpassword 0 0

[quote author=pbharris link=board=4;threadid=9065;start=0#msg82061 date=1082486810]
    Code:
    //sparches/c /net/msmachine smbfs username=pbharris,password=thisisabadpassword 0 0

[/quote]

pbharris,

Thanks for the reply.

One reason I did not use the following code was because I worry about security. I think having user + password in plain text is a really bad.

Is there any better way? Where I can be more secured?

Thanks and more power.

hello,
    i have not used plain text passwords for quite awhile, at least when linux is the server, in this case I am not sure because ms win is the server.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=4;threadid=9065;start=0#msg82079 date=1082505088]
    hello,
    i have not used plain text passwords for quite awhile, at least when linux is the server, in this case I am not sure because ms win is the server.
    [/quote]

No, what I am trying to do is to mount windows partition on my Linux Server. And I know plain text password is also at risk under Linux.

If the windows parition is on the same hard drive as the linux partition you dont even have to use samba to do it. If its a straight up fat32 you can mount it with fstab at bootup.

[quote author=Mountainman link=board=4;threadid=9065;start=0#msg82096 date=1082548453]
    If the windows parition is on the same hard drive as the linux partition you dont even have to use samba to do it. If its a straight up fat32 you can mount it with fstab at bootup.
    [/quote]

Hi Mountainman,

Thank you for your reply.

Pardon me for confusing you. Iam installing win2k share on my linux box not on the same computer.

TIA