Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Sorry.. one more thing: Best Source for Newbies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorry.. one more thing: Best Source for Newbies

Sorry.. one more thing: Best Source for Newbies

:-\

Sorry, one more thing I wanted to ask. What is the best book, website, place to go to get started in Linux? I've read Linux for Dummies cover to cover, and it isn't very good. It doesn't have the information I need, and it's very poorly written. I have "Running Linux" 4th edition from O'Reilly, but it supposed too often that you understand Unix. I need a bare bones linux guide that I can use as a reference to look up and troubleshoot as I need to. Also, is there a basic guide to Command Line computing for Linux for those of us who learned DOS 10 years ago and don't have a clue how to get around in a Linux terminal?

Thanks again!

-John A.

Re:Sorry.. one more thing: Best Source for Newbies

I'd suggest checking our tutorials section. We have tutorials on ahrdware, software, command-line use, etc.

HTH

hello,
    what Trickster said google is also the best resource a linux user could have

http://www.google.com/linux is the best resource a linux user can have :P

The absolutely best thing to do is to find the local Linux User Group, hang around at the meeting and if you have a problem - ask them or ask on their mailinglists, as long as you are polite they are normally very good at helping out.

i just found out about a lug around my university, no meeting has been arranged yet though

I live in the middle of nowhere, and none of the tech schools have any linux classes. What's the best way to find a linux user group. I learn fast, and this would be the best way for me to learn, seeing it done in person.

Also, does anyone ever offer to help via AIM? I think a live chat could be useful.

ALSO: Does anyone know of a LUG in South Central Wisconsin, i.e. Madison, Oconomowoc, Watertown, Hartland, etc. I know it's a stretch, but....

[quote author=Linux Looser link=board=12;threadid=8509;start=0#msg77186 date=1074620910]
    I live in the middle of nowhere, and none of the tech schools have any linux classes. What's the best way to find a linux user group. I learn fast, and this would be the best way for me to learn, seeing it done in person.

Also, does anyone ever offer to help via AIM? I think a live chat could be useful.

ALSO: Does anyone know of a LUG in South Central Wisconsin, i.e. Madison, Oconomowoc, Watertown, Hartland, etc. I know it's a stretch, but....

[/quote]
    http://www.madisonlinux.org/

Many members here (including myself) have links to instant messaging accounts, and those display on the profile (like, if you look at my profile, I have an MSN, ICQ and some other messaging thing.)

If you ever see me online in any of those messaging programs, feel free to ask for help, and I'll do my best to help you (as long as I have the time at the moment.)

Good Guru

trick, you from madison? I thought you were from Florida. If you are a fellow farmer, you know Xam by chance? UW-Madison guy.

[quote author=Slave Copy link=board=12;threadid=8509;start=0#msg77258 date=1074739797]
    trick, you from madison? I thought you were from Florida. If you are a fellow farmer, you know Xam by chance? UW-Madison guy.
    [/quote]
    Nah, I'm from Orlando. I meant many LJR members.
    My girlfriend is from Wisconsin, though.