Thread: New Linux Convert: Help with X

New Linux Convert: Help with X

I have convinced one of my cousins to use Linux and he just installed Fedora Core 1. I didn't suggest it but he might as well start with a newbie distro. Alright. He didn't know what KDE or GNOME was so he just installed X-Windows System without KDE or GNOME. He asked me that he logged into the CLI and I asked him to startx and he says that he is getting an error: no Xclients-default. So reviewing one of the older posts by pbharris: i asked him to run switchdesk but nothing happened so he chose switchdesk fvwm but it says fvwm is not installed.

So how can I install the fvwm2 *.rpm as I couldn't find the rpm on any of the three cd's? and how to create a .Xclients-default? \

Thanks!

Re:New Linux Convert: Help with X

At this point, I'd recommend re-installing from scratch anyway... nothing on the system, may as well get a decent install done. Do a workstation install, and add the extra packages in the kernel development catagory.

[quote author=shebang link=board=6;threadid=9062;start=0#msg82001 date=1082401449]So how can I install the fvwm2 *.rpm as I couldn't find the rpm on any of the three cd's? and how to create a .Xclients-default?
    [/quote]

You don't particularly like your cousin, do you? Why else would you torture him with fvwm.

I remember you saying not too long ago that you couldn't quite figure out how to configure fvwm. Now, I understand that you're not totally new to the game. So how do you expect somebody with no linux experience whatsoever to even begin to appreciate Linux when even a petty thing like changing the wallpaper involves serious hacking of weird config files that probably make no sense at all on first exposure...

I'd second what ph34r said. Have him do a reinstall with gnome (and kde if HD space isn't an issue). FC has a nice default gnome configuration that's rather intuitive to use. It takes a maximum of 30mins. Problem solved.

[quote author=demian link=board=6;threadid=9062;start=0#msg82008 date=1082407276]
    [quote author=shebang link=board=6;threadid=9062;start=0#msg82001 date=1082401449]So how can I install the fvwm2 *.rpm as I couldn't find the rpm on any of the three cd's? and how to create a .Xclients-default?
    [/quote]

You don't particularly like your cousin, do you? Why else would you torture him with fvwm.

I remember you saying not too long ago that you couldn't quite figure out how to configure fvwm. Now, I understand that you're not totally new to the game. So how do you expect somebody with no linux experience whatsoever to even begin to appreciate Linux when even a petty thing like changing the wallpaper involves serious hacking of weird config files that probably make no sense at all on first exposure...

I'd second what ph34r said. Have him do a reinstall with gnome (and kde if HD space isn't an issue). FC has a nice default gnome configuration that's rather intuitive to use. It takes a maximum of 30mins. Problem solved.
    [/quote]

;D I don't hate him. But is there any other way to do so? He has X but no WMs or DEs.

Not to nit-pick, but if X is installed you have TWM available- it is included with X.

I agree with the others, re-install. But if you don't want to, you can try and get TWM up. Do you have a .xinitrc file in ~/?

Just add
    Code:
    twm
    as the last line (or the only line) and then try startx.

Isn't there any CLI program in fedora that you can use to install stuff off the CDs? Like SuSE has an ncurses version of yast that you can use to configure and install stuff when X isn't working.

rpm.

There is a tutorial on rpm on the Plain English Tutorials section

[quote author=trickster link=board=6;threadid=9062;start=0#msg82018 date=1082420155]
    rpm.

[/quote]

I cannot even find the rpm on any of the fedora discs but I downloaded one from the fvwm2 site and put it in and put in the .xinitrc and made the .X-clients point to .xinitrc and now it is working fine and I also manually installed the KDE && GNOME rpms for him and now everything is working fine. Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your help.

[quote author=trickster link=board=6;threadid=9062;start=0#msg82018 date=1082420155]
    rpm.

[/quote]

Well, I was thinking about something a little more high-level. Like the software install GUI thing that straightens out dependencies and tells you what CD to insert when you want to install a certain app...

Good to see you figured it out, though.

yum install foo