Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

deleting old kernel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deleting old kernel

Hybrid View

deleting old kernel

Hi,
    I just upgraded my kernel to 2.4.25-1 using Debian Sarge, and everything seemed to go fine. I'm wondering how I would go about uninstalling my old one, because I can still boot into it. Do I simply uncomment the old one from the grub menu.lst, or do I need to do something else as well.

My menu.lst looks like this:

titleDebian GNU/Linux, kernel
    root(hd0,3)
    kernel/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb4 ro hdc=scsi hdd=scsi
    savedefault
    boot

titleDebian GNU/Linux, kernel (single user mode)
    root(hd0,3)
    kernel/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb4 ro hdc=scsi hdd=scsi single
    savedefault
    boot

titleDebian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.25-1-686
    root(hd0,3)
    kernel/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-1-686 root=/dev/hdb4 ro hdc=scsi hdd=scsi
    initrd/boot/initrd.img-2.4.25-1-686
    savedefault
    boot

titleDebian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.25-1-686 (single user mode)
    root(hd0,3)
    kernel/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-1-686 root=/dev/hdb4 ro hdc=scsi hdd=scsi single
    initrd/boot/initrd.img-2.4.25-1-686
    savedefault
    boot

titleDebian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.20
    root(hd0,3)
    kernel/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20 root=/dev/hdb4 ro hdc=scsi hdd=scsi
    savedefault
    boot

titleDebian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.20 (single user mode)
    root(hd0,3)
    kernel/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20 root=/dev/hdb4 ro hdc=scsi hdd=scsi single
    savedefault
    boot

I also wan't to just clean it up a bit; is there a difference between the first two entries and the new kernel ones?

thank you
    Dswissmiss

Re:deleting old kernel

If you just don't want to look at them anymore, then deleting their entries is fine. In order to delete the actual kernel, delete the kernel image (eg, /boot/vmlinuz or /boot/vmlinux-2.4.25-etc... ). Probably easy enough to do both.

As for the first two entries, the second entry puts the system in single-user mode which is handy for debugging stuff when your system is hosed. If you don't want to use, this, then delete the single user one.

I also was about to ask the question. So we can delete the /usr/src/linux-2.4.22 for Slackware when I have 2.6.5 as my default kernel?

If it was a kernel image that you installed via a .deb you could probably do something like:

Code:
    apt-show-versions | grep kernel
    to see what the package name might be. And then do a:

Code:
    apt-get remove <kernel pakage name>
    That should take care of things (it just worked for me ).

Yes you can. I've never done it though. You may want to rename it to something like /usr/src/oldlinux until you're sure you can compile stuff though. Those are your kernel headers, and anything that needs to make direct calls to the kernel needs them. If you don't often compile kernel-level software then you should be alright either way.

Ok, found another newer kernel so now I have 3.
    I'm in /boot, and there's a system.map, config, vmlinuz-version number for each of the three kernels, but only one vmlinuz. Can I delete vmlinuz, or only the one with the kernel numbers, and do I just move them to the trash, or is there something else I need to do.

thanx
    Dswissmiss

[quote author=Dswissmiss link=board=2;threadid=9057;start=0#msg81959 date=1082340964]
    Ok, found another newer kernel so now I have 3.
    I'm in /boot, and there's a system.map, config, vmlinuz-version number for each of the three kernels, but only one vmlinuz. Can I delete vmlinuz, or only the one with the kernel numbers, and do I just move them to the trash, or is there something else I need to do.

thanx
    Dswissmiss
    [/quote]

You can delete the vmlinuz and then point your lilo or grub to boot the one of the other kernels: here is an example:

Code:
    root@localhost:~# cd /boot
    root@localhost:/boot# rm -f vmlinuz
    root@localhost:/boot# vi /etc/lilo.conf (or grub.conf)

root=/dev/hda

image=/boot/vmlinuz-version-number
    label = Fedora
    read-only 

:wq 

root@localhost:/boot# /sbin/lilo -v (or however grub is run)
    root@localhost:/boot# reboot
    and it should work..
    I just deleted my 2.4.22 kernel and made 2.6.5 kernel my default.

I wouldn't recommend deleting old kernels unless you're really needy of HDD space, because hey, sh*t happens.

I usually keep the last three or four kernels in /boot. I don't see a problem deleting older ones. I wouldn't, however, recommend deleting all but te most recent kernel.

This stuff can go when you want to get rid of kernel X.YY.Z:

/boot/vmlinuz-X.YY.Z
    /boot/System.map-X.YY.Z
    /boot/config-X.YY.Z
    /usr/src/linux-X.YY.Z
    /lib/modules/X.YY.Z

Of course, the names can vary from one distro to the next.

I tried the 2.6.5 RPM update for suSE and i got a kernel panic. It seems that it cant mount root, and plus my old kernel was deleted!