Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnome is great!

Gnome is great!

FreeBSD hated me so I just did a fresh install of slack. As always, it runs great and I tried gnome for the first time, and it is great! As soon as I can get Slack on my PC, I will become a gnome-r it is really, really awesome! it is not too slow on my laptop either and a lot better than KDE. I can customize it more, better than KDE.
    For someone who hasn't tried GNOME yet, it is awesome!

Question: Where can I find wallpapers for GNOME?

Re:Gnome is great!

Ah .. http://art.gnome.org. They're down but you can still get at their stuff.

Now do the 2.6 upgrade, and see what you think of GNOME. ;D

[quote author=Master Copy link=board=6;threadid=9031;start=0#msg81648 date=1081977003]
    Now do the 2.6 upgrade, and see what you think of GNOME. ;D
    [/quote]

Should I be afraid? ;D
    I love this background:

http://ftp.gnome.org/Public/GNOME/te...usewithTUX.jpg

If you have a decent enough computer, you might want to try Dropline GNOME with Slackware.

[quote author=chessforce link=board=6;threadid=9031;start=0#msg81652 date=1081977834]
    If you have a decent enough computer, you might want to try Dropline GNOME with Slackware.
    [/quote]

I have not yet had a chance to come across a machine (other than my M$ PC) that has the ability to run all WM's && DE's as fast as I can imagine. But I will try them all one by one.

Thanks though for informing me. I will think of it in the future.

[quote author=chessforce link=board=6;threadid=9031;start=0#msg81652 date=1081977834]
    [/quote]

Seconded...the new dropline based on 2.6 is sexier than I can believe. Probably the best free desktop available today IMHO. http://www.dropline.net/gnome/

[quote author=shebang link=board=6;threadid=9031;start=0#msg81658 date=1081985848]
    [/quote]

I have not yet had a chance to come across a machine (other than my M$ PC) that has the ability to run all WM's && DE's as fast as I can imagine. But I will try them all one by one.

Thanks though for informing me. I will think of it in the future.
    [/quote]

No problem. Hopefully, Dropline will have a better un-installer by that time too.

My Slackbox meets all the requirements but the Processor: I have a Pentium MMX Processor and it claims for a PII or AMD Athlon.

If you can run Gnome, you can run Dropline Gnome. Dropline is just Gnome with extra sexiness. Font rendering is all sexed up, the default theme is beautiful, and it's all optimized for Slack. It should actually run better than stock Gnome 2.6.

Give it a go! I'm interested to know what you think.