Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FreeBSD Installing Stuff.

Hybrid View

FreeBSD Installing Stuff.

When I last tried FreeBSD, I liked it but for the fact I didn't install X and I couldn't figure out how to either. I was wondering if one of you knew how to do it. Example: installpkg *.tgz or rpm -ivh *.rpm. For FreeBSD, what are the packages called or their extensions? Thi s is just out of curiosity. Please answer in your leisure.
    Thanks!

Re:FreeBSD Installing Stuff.

"pkg_add <package_name>" is all that's needed. I think they use .tar.gz or .tgz files.

You can install XF86 from the CD-Rom, just run `/stand/sysinstall' and swim through the menus. Alternatively you can run `pkg_add -r XFree86'.

FreeBSD is the one of the easiest operating system to use, once you get the hang of it. Just remember that the handbook is your best friend.

Thanks! I was wondering...

*goes off to try installing FreeBSD*

If you want X when installing, select X+developer for the type of installation. That will get you up a running.

Welcome to the BSD world! ;D

Alright! Thanks!

Thanks for the Welcome!. ;D

[edit] Successfully Installed FreeBSD [/edit]

Unfortunately, when I enter xinit or startx there is no command.

but there is an empty /etc/X11 and X11R6 but I have no Idea how to start the X-server and um...updatedb doesn't work for some reason. Why?

Looks like you didn't install X. :-\

You can check by doing:

pkg_info | grep XFree86

Also, you might want to make your own ~/.xinitrc. No biggie.

[quote author=Master Copy link=board=10;threadid=9025;start=0#msg81930 date=1082314179]
    Looks like you didn't install X. :-\

You can check by doing:

pkg_info | grep XFree86

Also, you might want to make your own ~/.xinitrc. No biggie.
    [/quote]

Sorry for the late reply but I chose the FUll Standard Install and it said installing XFree86 a couple of times and I still didn't get it working. I tried adding:

pkg_add XFree86-4.3.0.tbz

but it didn't work so I got really tired and replaced it with good old Slackware 9.1

I just installed Freebsd 5.3 recently and having a hard time getting anything to work smoothly.

I installed the basic from the internet instead of cd, so maybe I will do a reinstall and use the cd for basic stuff.

I had to install xorg and it seems to be working, well I guess it is, but I had hard time getting gnome2 installed, errors. So I installed Xfce4 which seems to be working but couldn't get mozilla to work.

Any ideas/suggestions on this?

I reinstalled Freebsd 5.3 but may have a bad ISO. I tried installing everything but after awhile it went into a loop trying to install Perl and some dependencies.

So then I installed from a FTP site using the Everything choice. I'm still having a few problems but is posting this using Freebsd.

I have Xfce4 & Mozilla installed but when I click the mozilla icon, it takes about 5 or so minutes to come up.

Any ideas?

Thnx.