Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

FireFox rox

Thread: FireFox rox

Hybrid View

Mentor

FireFox rox

I have tried FireBird in the past but I've always gone back to Mozilla. I decided to give a shot to FireFox. I'm very pleased with it.

It finally handles mailto links. Not just that, but lets you choose the email client of your choice.
    It let's you open wmv files with mplayer (or any other video player) even if the mime-type is not set up correctly on the web page. This was a major pain in Mozilla.

A few minor quirks though. Had to dig hard to find where to check for installed plug-ins. It did not show mplayerplug-in, even though it was installed and working. It stores user data in ~/.phoenix, it would make more sense to have it in ~/.firefox.

Anyway, it became my default browser really quick.

Re:FireFox rox

[quote author=cloverm link=board=2;threadid=9021;start=0#msg81557 date=1081880377]
    It let's you open wmv files with mplayer (or any other video player) even if the mime-type is not set up correctly on the web page. This was a major pain in Mozilla.
    [/quote]

Well, it's, of course, not mozilla's fault at all. As you said the site admins didn't do their job and never set the mime type correctly. At the end of the day you could say IE is at fault because it just ignores the mime type for wmv files and people checking their pages with IE only think "hey, everything works" when in fact it doesn't.

A few minor quirks though. Had to dig hard to find where to check for installed plug-ins.
    Isn't it aboutlugins for mozilla, too?

It stores user data in ~/.phoenix, it would make more sense to have it in ~/.firefox.
    Hehe. Yeah, that's a left-over from before then first name change. The latest nightly builts do in fact use ~/.firefox (and automatically convert your ~/.phonix directory)

Anyway, it became my default browser really quick.
    Same here. Actually it's dafault for me on both OS X and linux since 0.7. There are just so many things I couldn't surf without: The adblocker extension and flash-click-to-play. Or the ingenious mycroft site search plugins: They add the ability to do direct searches on all major web site like google.com(/linux) imdb, ebay, amzon, wkikipedia, ... you name it, from the little box next to the URL bar.

Mentor

[quote author=demian link=board=2;threadid=9021;start=#msg81560 date=1081882815]
    Well, it's, of course, not mozilla's fault at all. As you said the site admins didn't do their job and never set the mime type correctly. At the end of the day you could say IE is at fault because it just ignores the mime type for wmv files and people checking their pages with IE only think "hey, everything works" when in fact it doesn't.
    [/quote]
    I know it's not Mozilla's fault, but it IS a pain.
    [quote author=demian link=board=2;threadid=9021;start=#msg81560 date=1081882815]
    Isn't it aboutlugins for mozilla, too?
    [/quote]
    Yes, it did come up like that, but I was looking for it under Help. mplayerplug-in still didn't show up.

My problem is, I can't get new extensions to install..

I install them, but when I go to 'extensions', it is empty :/

Mentor

[quote author=philangatron link=board=2;threadid=9021;start=#msg81562 date=1081886177]
    My problem is, I can't get new extensions to install..

I install them, but when I go to 'extensions', it is empty :/
    [/quote]

Have you tried running FireFox as root and install the extension as root?

[quote author=cloverm link=board=2;threadid=9021;start=0#msg81561 date=1081885679]mplayerplug-in still didn't show up.
    [/quote]

Hmm. Did you install it again or just hoped for firefox to pick up the mozilla plugins? I'm not sure if this is a debian thing but I have two directories: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins After copying the contents of the former to the latter all the plugins where there and showing up in aboutlugins under firefox.

Mentor

[quote author=demian link=board=2;threadid=9021;start=#msg81565 date=1081887709]
    [quote author=cloverm link=board=2;threadid=9021;start=0#msg81561 date=1081885679]mplayerplug-in still didn't show up.
    [/quote]

Hmm. Did you install it again or just hoped for firefox to pick up the mozilla plugins? I'm not sure if this is a debian thing but I have two directories: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins After copying the contents of the former to the latter all the plugins where there and showing up in aboutlugins under firefox.
    [/quote]

Funny thing is that mplayerplug-in DOES work in FireFox! It just doesn't show up in aboutlugins.