Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memory errors with XP Pro

Memory errors with XP Pro

Hi everyone, How are we doing today?? I'm pretty good.

Well anyways. I have been getting these memory errors for some time now and can't be able to get rid of them. I finally gave up trying to ignore the problems. I was posting on a few boards but not Windows based boards but didn't help me any. In a way it did help me but didn't get rid of my errors. The memory errors are followed below..

When i open Outlook Express and click on create mail this is the error i'm getting.
    There was an error opening this message. There is not enough memory.

When i click on Windows Media Player to open it, this is the message i get.

Can't perform operation, low memory.

I have plenty of memory. I have 256k memory. 40 GB hard drive. Hardly any programs are installed. I don't have anything running in the background. Does anyone know why i'm getting these errors?? I plan on re-installing all my programs again once i get stable. Thanx for any help..

Re:Memory errors with XP Pro

My bad i posted in the wrong section. Will someone remove it to Windows section?? Sorry about that. Thanx guys..

Thank you Cloverm.

Kind Mastermind

My first thought is that there is a memory leak somewhere or that there are a lot of programs getting loaded at startup. I suggest you download a startup organizer from here. They will analyze what is being loaded and help you to determine which ones you need or don't need. I'm fairly certain that you will be able to free up some of that memory that is being hogged by whatever program.

Cheers

Mentor

It might be not enough virtual memory. I don't know XP, so I can't tell you exactly how to increase it, but a google search for "increasing virtual memory XP" will probably get you there.

I'd say write the exact error message and look it up on Microsoft's knowledge base.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

This is what i came accross.. long link

There was 25 matches. Not sure which ones would best fit my needs. I quickly scanned through them.

Read them all. See which ones apply to your situations and try the fixes outlined on them.

I did read them and it doesn't look like any of them are for Outlook Express. Even when i type in the message for the Player i doubt there won't be anything for that. I haven't tried it though. I'm trying to fix Outlook first.

Actually I had that problem a few months ago. Here is what I did.

GO to the Control Panel: Click on Performance and Maintenance and then click on System. Click on the Advanced tab. You should see the first option as:

Perfomance;

Visual Effects, processor scheduling, memory usage and virtual memory: Settings. Click on Settings, Then click again on the advanced tab.

The third option should be:

Virtual Memory:
    A paging file....etc.

Then click Change and then it should be automatically set to System Managed Size . Change the option to custom and change the SWAP (Virtual Memory) to whatever you want.

This is of course thinking that you don't have enough set.

If that doesn't work of course: Here is what you do:

GO to the Control Panel: Click on Performance and Maintenance and then click on System. Click on the Advanced tab. You should see the first option as:

Perfomance;

Visual Effects, processor scheduling, memory usage and virtual memory: Settings. Click on Settings, Then click again on the advanced tab.
    Follow these steps but do not click on the virtual one: click the second option: which should be to change the memory usage for individual programs then select the program and increase the memory usage thing.

Hopefully this helps.