Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Window Managers

Window Managers

I was just curious. Which WM do you use? I am a fan of Blackbox. It is the only WM that has shown me fast so far. KDE and GNOME are excellent, no doubt, but I think they need more resources than my laptop. :P

Thanks for voting.

P.S: Please try to post why you like the WM you like so that I can also try them.

Re:Window Managers

i voted for Gnome... the people on this forum who know me from a couple of years ago will probably remember that i was a die hard KDE fan and pretty anti-Gnome. But i wanted to give Gnome a fair chance so ever since 2.4 came out i've been using it, have gotten used to it, and actually started liking it. The reason why i prefer Gnome over KDE is because it's more intuitive. From a technical perspective i still think Gnome is a piece of shit whereas KDE is a thing of beauty. I'm also pretty sure that KDE will always be the more advanced of the two because of it's OO-nature and extremely clean design (not the interface, but the code). But until KDE gets as user friendly and intuitive as Gnome, i'm sticking with Gnome.

Kind Mastermind

I usually prefer XFCE. It is light-weight and strangely elegant. I have been using KDE a lot recently and have begun to really enjoy it more. I'm not too keen on all of the extra bloat that comes with it, but I guess that is just the nature of the beast.

Strangely enough, my other favorite window manager is litestep (which I have installed on my XP partition).

Cheers

I like IceWM because it is light-weight and very fast. Also, it gives the user a lot of options when it comes to customizing. When it comes to desktop environments, I prefer GNOME because I find it faster than KDE and it has a cleaner interface. However, I have heard that XFCE is a really good and fast desktop environment, and if I have a chance, I might give that a try.

My WM of choice is Metacity, which is the WM that comes with GNOME.

I prefer Blackbox because it runs fast and easy to change the menus, themes and everything else. I don't exactly know the difference between Flux and Blackbox except for the names. ;D But Blackbox sounds better and I've gotten used to it and fluxbox uses different config thingies and everything. I am giving FVWM2 a try but so far configuring it does not seem easy.

Mandrake Blows: Have you tried um..OpenBox with GNOME? I never did and if it is worth it, I might give it a try.

As far as WMs go, I'm a big fan of IceWM -- Fast, highly configurable.

I hate to get all technical, but xfce is not a wm .... Xfwm4 is xfce's wm. By the does gnome still come with metacity, on freebie the wm was called something like gnomewm or something.

[quote author=shebang link=board=6;threadid=9005;start=0#msg81440 date=1081714397]
    I prefer Blackbox because it runs fast and easy to change the menus, themes and everything else. I don't exactly know the difference between Flux and Blackbox except for the names. ;D But Blackbox sounds better and I've gotten used to it and fluxbox uses different config thingies and everything. I am giving FVWM2 a try but so far configuring it does not seem easy.

Mandrake Blows: Have you tried um..OpenBox with GNOME? I never did and if it is worth it, I might give it a try.
    [/quote]

Nope and I never will - I like metacity a lot..

Well I like Gnome/KDE... I have a fondness for KDE over Gnome but either, doesn't really matter to me. I think that they just make using the desktop smooth and nice... But again I go for the more "ready-to-go" versions of WM and DE because, unfortunately, I'm not using Linux full time (yet). But I would like to get to know FluxBox I like its look!