Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Help w/ changing permissions on external storage devices.

Thread: Help w/ changing permissions on external storage devices.

Help w/ changing permissions on external storage devices.

I'm able to mount external storage devices such as my Zip drive, USB Flash Card reader, and USB JumpDrive storage devices, but I'm having trouble with the permissions. In Nautilus 2.4.0 I can read and open files, but I can't change or save any files on the specified external device. Says I'm not the owner and I don't have permission.

I am not having success trying to change permissions of a mounted device.

I've tried
    Code:
    chown
    and
    Code:
    chmod
    but I don't think I'm following with the proper commands or something... I want to be able to access, modify and save any and all files on my external devices in Gnome using Nautilus.

Thanks!

-John

Re:Help w/ changing permissions on external storage devices.

[quote author=Linux Looser link=board=1;threadid=9002;start=0#msg81421 date=1081701952]
    I'm able to mount external storage devices such as my Zip drive, USB Flash Card reader, and USB JumpDrive storage devices, but I'm having trouble with the permissions. In Nautilus 2.4.0 I can read and open files, but I can't change or save any files on the specified external device. Says I'm not the owner and I don't have permission.

I am not having success trying to change permissions of a mounted device.

I've tried
    Code:
    chown
    and
    Code:
    chmod
    but I don't think I'm following with the proper commands or something... I want to be able to access, modify and save any and all files on my external devices in Gnome using Nautilus.

Thanks!

-John
    [/quote]

Make sure you mount it with `-o rw` or `-w`. Also, make sure `-o uid=<something> gid=<something>` is set to what you want.

Make those changes in /etc/fstab
    like in this thread:
    http://www.linuxjunior.org/yabbse/in...;threadid=8519

hello,
    try adding an umask option to /etc/fstab -
    Code:
    /dev/hda1 /dos vfat defaults,user,ro,umask=002,gid=100 0 0

[quote author=chessforce link=board=1;threadid=9002;start=0#msg81423 date=1081702217]
    Make sure you mount it with `-o rw` or `-w`. Also, make sure `-o uid=<something> gid=<something>` is set to what you want.
    [/quote]

Could you give me a more specific example of this. Here is my /etc/fstab file as it currently is:

Code:
    LABEL=LINUX             /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
    none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
    none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
    none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
    /dev/hda4               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
    /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
    /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
    /dev/zip/mnt/zipvfatnoauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
    /dev/sda1/mnt/jumpfat16defaults,user,ro,unmask=002,gid=100 0 0