Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Deleting KDE && GNOME...Good Idea?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deleting KDE && GNOME...Good Idea?

Deleting KDE && GNOME...Good Idea?

Since I have a really lowly-resourced computer, do you think it is a
    good idea to to delete KDE and GNOME because they are too
    resource needing programs that run toooooo slow on my box.
    I do have Fluxbox, Blackbox, and TWM running and FVWM2, I think.
    So is it a good idea to keep them or delete them? They are taking
    up too much space on my HDD anyway. Thanks for your replies.

Re:Deleting KDE && GNOME...Good Idea?

hello,
    I would keep gnome because so many other proggies use the libs (gimp, a few few others). I don't use KDE at all and have yet to find a need. I have nothing against kde, but most the stuff i use is gtk, gnome or X based.

I would also use FVWM - because it is beautiful, slim and functional.

Have you tried XFCE (http://www.xfce.org/ ). Kinda like Gnome, but much more lightweight.

And it's not the Gnome libs on which progs depend...it's the gtk libs. Very few progs are gnome-only. So for most programs you should be ok just keeping gtk on there (I know you'd be fine without Gnome for abiword, gimp, gaim, and I believe Rhythmbox as well).

I kept gtk libs because for some other X-based progs like Blackbox and including make in the Kernel Compile.

Tyr_7be: XFCE is pretty good. I've tried it but i couldn't figure out how to make it my own. I mean i couldn't change the theme, style or anything like that.

pbharris: Same with FVWM2: ^^ I couldn't figure out how to handle it. Although I do have FVWM2 on my computer. It is fast. I prefer Blackbox over it but when I get bored i use it.

unless you're running low on HD space (allthough HD space is extemely cheap these days) i'd keep all those libraries on your system.

even if you don't run gnome and kde, it's always nice to be able to run gnome or kde programs depending on your preference

Good Guru

the apps can be vaped yes, but keep the libraries. They are akin to Windows .DLLs, shared files.

SO i shouldn't delete the WM's and keep it?

The new spatial nautilus is a dead fast filemanager, I wouldn't delete that regardless.

I have a friend who uses that on pecwm-cvs (name?), and it's blazing fast and easy of the ressources.

I still say that GNOME runs nicely on small machines, I have 2.4 running on a 500MHz Celeron laptop, and it's perfectly usable.

[quote author=Mandrake blows link=board=6;threadid=8994;start=0#msg81367 date=1081582557]
    The new spatial nautilus is a dead fast filemanager, I wouldn't delete that regardless.

I have a friend who uses that on pecwm-cvs (name?), and it's blazing fast and easy of the ressources.

I still say that GNOME runs nicely on small machines, I have 2.4 running on a 500MHz Celeron laptop, and it's perfectly usable.
    [/quote]

I do like GNOME but the unfortunate thing is it is very slow on my computer.

Here are my specs:

64 MB RAM
    IBM ThinkPad iSeries
    299 MhZ Pentium MMX Processor
    4 GiG HDD with 512 MB Swap Space

So both GNOME && KDE are slow. But the slicker ones like Blackbox, Fluxbox, FVWM2, FVWM(9?)5 runs pretty fast.

Good Guru

One thing that you will want to to nonetheless is to go thru your daemons and disable the unneeded ones. That I am sure will be one of your bottlenecks. Dont run apache, bind, sendmail, and mysql daemons if you dont need them, especially on a slow box.