Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lindows

Associate

Lindows

Being a supporter of Debian, I thought I would give Lindows(Debian based) a try. I put it a on a Dell laptop, Inspiron 1100. I must say this is a great distro for the newbie, such as myself. So far the only tweaking needed was with my network connection. After a visit to the Lindows web site and support pages, I am up and running. I use a wireless connection to the internet.

I haven't been around in a while and it's good to be back and great to see the improvements being made in the linux arena.

Anybody have straight Debian on a laptop and wireless connection to the net. Please weigh in and tell me how difficult or easy it was to get it up and running.

Thanks,
    Rod

Good Guru

Re:Lindows

Thanks for the feedback. I feel alone in being a supporter of Lindows. The short bit I got to use it was an enjoyable time.

[quote author=rod link=board=7;threadid=8978;start=0#msg81130 date=1081214236]
    Being a supporter of Debian, I thought I would give Lindows(Debian based) a try. I put it a on a Dell laptop, Inspiron 1100. I must say this is a great distro for the newbie, such as myself. So far the only tweaking needed was with my network connection. After a visit to the Lindows web site and support pages, I am up and running. I use a wireless connection to the internet.

I haven't been around in a while and it's good to be back and great to see the improvements being made in the linux arena.

Anybody have straight Debian on a laptop and wireless connection to the net. Please weigh in and tell me how difficult or easy it was to get it up and running.

Thanks,
    Rod
    [/quote]

I've used Debian with a wireless that was so hard for me to get it to work. I use an older laptop than your Dell. Well, when you are installing Debian, make sure you choose the 2.4.18 kernel. Then your drivers will work on it. Plus you have to edit a lot of stuff that I hated so I just got a wired connection working and am happy with it.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Slave Copy link=board=7;threadid=8978;start=0#msg81354 date=1081564634]
    Thanks for the feedback. I feel alone in being a supporter of Lindows. The short bit I got to use it was an enjoyable time.
    [/quote]

Don't feel alone. I used Lindows 1.1 for a little while. It was nice. My biggest gripe with it was that it used a cvs version of KDE. That made it very hard to update. Of course, the newer versions probably don't have that problem. I would definitely recommend Lindows to just about anyone who wants an easy way to get into Linux. Or Knoppix.

Cheers

An excerpt from an article related to the merits of Linux vs. Windows when it comes to viruses (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10...ndows_viruses/):

"There is one Linux distribution that is ignoring many years of common sense, good design, and an awareness of secure operating environments in favor of a Microsoft-like deprecation of security before the nebulous term "ease of use": Lindows. By default, Lindows runs the user of the system as root (and it even encourages the user to forgo setting up a root password during installation by labeling it as "optional"!), an unbelievably shortsighted decision that results in a Linux box with the same security as a Windows 9.x machine.

If you go to the Lindows Web site, they state that it is possible to add other, non-privileged users, but nowhere in the operating system do they advocate adding these other users. Yet they claim their distribution of Linux is secure! In an effort to emulate Microsoft and make things "easy", they have compromised the security of their users, an unforgivable action. No one in the field of security, or even IT, can recommend Lindows while such a blatant disregard for security is the norm for the OS."

So, Lindows users could be accused of bringing MS-like virus catastrophes into the Linux world. That's a bad thing... >

Good Guru

Oh come on, when you started didnt you primarily run as root?

I sure did. And alot of others here admit to that too. Bad, yeah. But once ya get going and used to linux, you stop that and move to a better computing model.

trust me -- the lindows users hit the forums to ask q's and that is stated in there. All that is really needed in the end is a PAM module to ask for root.

[quote author=Slave Copy link=board=7;threadid=8978;start=0#msg81598 date=1081916461]
    Oh come on, when you started didnt you primarily run as root?
    [/quote]
    It was a while ago, but I don't think so. I would log in as root sometimes when I was playing around and trying to learn Linux. But, I knew it was a dangerous place to be and the distros I was running made that clear. Lindows does not make that clear. I don't think they need to dummy it down that much. Otherwise, why bother switching from Windows?

Kind Mastermind

I sure started out running Linux as the root user. Back then there was a lot that wasn't automagically started for non-priveleged users (like cdrom access, etc). So it was easier to run as root. After a little bit of time and a lot of research, I became more comfortable setting up accounts that actually had some sort access to the devices I needed.

Cheers

Sure, I also started out running Linux as the root user. My reasons were pretty much the same as Stryder's - I couldn't figure out how to let the normal users access floppies or CDs, so I just ran around as root.

It took me a "rm -fr *" in the wrong place to quit doing stuff as root. Anyway, I still had the floppy and CD problems, but I "solved" them by doing a "chmod 777" in every place that had even remotely something to do with the devices in question. :

I haven't tried out Lindows myself, but it has the dubious honor of being the real Linux distro closest to my joke distro, Linux XP. I first wanted to name my joke "Lindows," but a quick check with Google showed me there already was a distro named like that, so I had to settle down to something else.

In my joke distro every user has the same privileges as root, and I was quite shocked to realize there actually is a real Linux distro out there that does the same thing!