Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more internet...

No more internet...

Great, my mighty 100 mbps internet pipe will be shut down today. :'(

The reason? Too much shared MP3's. You see, me and my hubby don't have the whole pipe to ourselves, our neighbors are also using the same connection. The provider monitors the traffic in the network pretty closely, for obvious reasons - if someone is sharing too much, they'll get shut down for blocking all the traffic.

Yeah. So maybe we shouldn't have shared all those MP3's. This is the last day I'll post to LJR using our nice fast pipe. :'(

Anyway, losing the internet connection isn't the worst part. No, the Finnish Composers' Copyright Society, Teosto, has obviously got too much influence from RIAA. Our provider has confirmed we've been sharing an excess amount of copyrighted MP3's, and Teosto has announced they'll take action against us.

I'm just so damn scared now. I wonder what's the worst thing they can do? Get us in jail? Make us pay? (yeah, like we had some money in the first place) Deny internet access for a certain amount of time?

I don't know what'll happen, but I'll keep you guys informed if I can. Man, this sucks. :'(

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Re:No more internet...

Relax, NGene. Perhaps it's just a bad dream/nightmare or... an April Fool's joke?

Trust me if those bloodsuckers even smell the chance of getting paid they will sue your ass off. Happened to a friend of mine not so long ago, not for sharing mp3s on the net though, for selling cds with software and tunes he "obtained" on the net.

Oh and I'm now on 100MBit (I shouldn't really be rubbing it in should I?)

I'm osrry to hear that, NGene. :/

If it is of any comfort, if they act like the RIAA does in America, they will probably contact you first to do an out-of-court settlement. In the US, that averages around US$3000.

I hope it turns out to be an April's fool joke, though... :'(

Only time will tell.

Well, it really was an April Fool's joke.

AFAIK sharing MP3's isn't illegal in Finland, so we can't get in trouble for doing that. But our provider really would shut down our network connection if we blocked the pipe by uploading too much stuff. So we won't... just download a lot. :P

[quote author=NGene link=board=17;threadid=8953;start=0#msg81271 date=1081416429]
    Well, it really was an April Fool's joke.

AFAIK sharing MP3's isn't illegal in Finland, so we can't get in trouble for doing that. But our provider really would shut down our network connection if we blocked the pipe by uploading too much stuff. So we won't... just download a lot. :P
    [/quote]

good to hear im glad they didn't really want a taste of you. 100mbit though!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!!??!?!!!! jeez..i have a puny 560Kb/s...better then dialup still

[quote author=Dusk_Knight link=board=17;threadid=8953;start=0#msg81401 date=1081647127]
    100mbit though!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!!??!?!!!! jeez..i have a puny 560Kb/s...better then dialup still
    [/quote]

Yeah, a free 100mbps connection. All we paid for was the setup, but after that... nothing.

Erm... guys, you know what? This actually happened last Monday.

The only differences are that we don't have Teosto trying to sue us or anything, and that it was MPAA that got pissed, not RIAA. Obviously they don't like it if people share too many Futurama episodes.

So, now the internet is really shut down. Whoa. Though one little email to the ISP will fix it in a couple of days.

I have Futurama and you didn't tell me... I thought I was your friend..

oh and to bad about the Internet thing, just be glad you aren't in the way of Fact (Federation Against Copyright Theft) in the UK, they would compare you to a guy called Bin Laden.. no kidding.

Piracy is terrorism, remember kids when you download movies, you are downloading for Bin Laden!!!