Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

OpenOffice fails to make the grade

Thread: OpenOffice fails to make the grade

OpenOffice fails to make the grade

After a few weeks of trying to run OpenOffice in a M$ Office environment, I am forced to say that it ain't gonna cut it. While the compatability issues with Writer are minor, they are problematic and the compatability with Excel is just not there, nor is the feature set in Calc. So it looks like it'll have to be Wine + Word and Excel on my work laptop. Disappointing.

Re:OpenOffice fails to make the grade

OpenOffice is cross campatible but no where does it say that it will format everything right. I ran into the same issues.

Have you tried Gnumeric for your xls files? They say that compatibility is outstanding.

[quote author=countach44 link=board=2;threadid=8946;start=0#msg80723 date=1080701825]
    OpenOffice is cross campatible but no where does it say that it will format everything right. I ran into the same issues.
    [/quote]

I had hoped it would work well enough, but it does not. If I did not have to exchange working copies of documents with M$ Office users, it would be fine, but the M$ folks have lots of problems with OO generated spreadsheets.

There is open office for win, force em to use it...

Good Guru

Hate to say it but .....

StarOffice seems to be the one if you are going to be REALLY serious about compartibility issues. There are some codes that Sun paid M$ to get the rights to fork it to work with Office; or so they says.

As far as I've been using it, it hasn't disappointed me (yet - knock on the wood ). There seems to be a lot of codes M$ put in there just to break compartibility. But all I want is data instead of features so I'm okay (personally).

[quote author=countach44 link=board=2;threadid=8946;start=0#msg80780 date=1080785864]
    There is open office for win, force em to use it...
    [/quote]

i'm guessing you don't have a lot of experience with corporations... most of them really don't give a flying fuck about open standards and whatnot... they wanna use what everyone else uses so they can open documents that anyone sends them without any problems. and i hate to say it, but openoffice is nowhere near how good it should be before it will be a viable option for most businesses (and yea i know it's not their fault because of microsoft's horrible file formats and the fact that they're so incredibly hard to reverse-engineer but businesses don't care about all this... they just need something that works)

It was more of a shitty joke than anything, I'll just keep my fingers off the keyboard next time ;D

I personally haven't had any issues yet with even with very complex Office documents. But I can see why some kind of odd cornercase would be enough to put a business off on OOo for the time being - but it's getting better each day... some would say unlike MS Office (which for my money really hasn't changed much since 97 - it still has some annoying bugs related to page counting fx.)

But for 80-90% of all users OOo should today be good enough to get the job done.

[quote author=Mandrake blows link=board=2;threadid=8946;start=0#msg80830 date=1080857747]
    But for 80-90% of all users OOo should today be good enough to get the job done.
    [/quote]

but don't forget that a lot of companies use VBA in Office... that's probably one of the biggest reasons why a lot of them are reluctant to use OpenOffice