Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Dualboot with different drives. GRUB or LILO!!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dualboot with different drives. GRUB or LILO!!

Dualboot with different drives. GRUB or LILO!!

Here is my situation. I have 2 HDD that look like this

Slave: Windows (fat32)
    Master: \boot | Linux | Swapspace | Data (Fat 32)

I have installed linux so that grub is present in the \boot partition

Windows is on \dev\hdb

For some reason it always boots to windows, even though the windows drive is slave, i think this is because i installed windows first. Is it possible for me to add some code to the boot.ini file in windows so that it directs it to the linux bootloader present onm \dev\hda1

I have just read the pet by boblucci on dualbooting

http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...play&id=37

It says that this an be done is lilo is being used, Could this method be used if grub is present instead of lilo./

Or another different method if anyone knows how i can get it to boot off the linux drive before the windows one.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Re:Dualboot with different drives. GRUB or LILO!!

I believe all that you need to do is install grub onto the boot sector of your HDA not just the /boot partition. With that being said I have NO IDEA HOW you accomplish this, but thats what it sounds like you need to do.

Mentor

if you installed windows first....then windows should be /dev/hda.

The reason that windows is hdb is that i have set it to slave. I thaught that if i set it to slave then the system would boot off the linux partition which is one hda. I was wrong, and now the system simply goes to windows straight away.

The system first goes to the windows boot (boot.ini). If anyone knows how to add code to the boot.ini that will boot the linux p[artition then it would be much apreciated.

I am now at a loss. I dont really want to screw up my system again. I have just put windows and linux back onto my system.

Well the other answer to your question is that no you can't add any code to your windows boot.ini file to get it to boot Linux, unless it is of the Windows NT family and uses the NT Boot loader in which case there are tutorials out there to get windows to boot linux.

Mentor

Here is what i have learned from dual booting linux and windows.

1) Install windows first
    2) if there are 2 drives keep the windows drive the master ( i just find everything works so much better that way)

Can you boot in to linux at all? Can you get in with a boot disk maybe?
    From there i would edit grub.

As far as I know, if your grub.conf is configured correctly, it should not matter.

To reinstall grub, do

Code:
    grub-install --root-directory=/boot/grub /dev/hda
    where /boot/grub = where you have the grub files (in my system, it was /boot/grub.

hi - i have been watching this thread - and i think what you want to do is what Izan Seth suggested and install it to the mbr - Trickster posted how-to do this, although depending on which directory you are in the command line may be this:
    Code:
    grub-install --root-directory=/ /dev/hda
    [me=pbharris]slaps head and reminds himself to update PET - again[/me]

Yes i can boot into Linux. I can either disconnect the windows drive. In this cvase grub boots and it asks which OS i wiosh to boot into. Of course XP is no longer there so only the linux option works.

Or i can use a boot disk this works well and i can then mount my windows drive, and can see all my windows stuff.

Which part of grub would i edit. I have looked at it, and it seems fine, its just that getting the computer to boot into grub in the first place is the problem.

Yes, i think that installing grub to the mbr of the Master drive will do it, does everyone agree.

Can you post the contents of your /etc/grub.conf?