Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planned server move

Re:Planned server move

[quote author=cloverm link=board=18;threadid=8937;start=0#msg81265 date=1081397315]
    [quote author=Dusk_Knight link=board=18;threadid=8937;start=#msg81261 date=1081395039]

curious..do you have a static ip, or dynamic? the other thing is..since your hosting the whole site yourself, why not let some of us host parts of it? probobly take quite a bit of work..but it would be a true community website that way. Like, I could definatly host the forum or PETS...id set up a seperate server for it probobly, and get a new router to garentee uptime. Just an idea though.

now, the problem with that is being careful your sure who host's it isn't going to mess with it. you would have to use your best judgment on chosing.
    [/quote]

Of course it's a static IP. Let's see how the new server will hold up, then we can consider your solution if we need more resources. I think the box is beefy enough to handle everything.
    [/quote]

its more of a bandwidth thing...not how beefy your box is, a 200mhz could handle it just fine most likely. I was just thinking it would be cool because not very many websites do anything like that...if any at all.

Was/is this a good idea? What was the upload bandwidth you had before?

I'm running two sites on a 512K upload, and sharing that with around 6 users can make it a bit laggy. Considering the traffic that comes through here, and the massive screenshots, I have to be a bit sceptical.

You say you have some other low traffic sites to host as well?????

check this out:
    http://www.linuxjunior.org/priv_stats/

384Kb/s -should- work, but isnt really recommended. I would install Webalizer and watch it closely, set it to run as a cron job. Right now your doing like 2GB a month, which isnt too bad. if you go above 5 or 6GB a month you will probobly notice it. the other thing is, ping google.com, if it is above 100ms it might be a little too slow..i would think.

Mentor

[quote author=Master Copy link=board=18;threadid=8937;start=#msg81268 date=1081404982]
    Was/is this a good idea? What was the upload bandwidth you had before?

I'm running two sites on a 512K upload, and sharing that with around 6 users can make it a bit laggy. Considering the traffic that comes through here, and the massive screenshots, I have to be a bit sceptical.

You say you have some other low traffic sites to host as well?????
    [/quote]

Don't forget, the screenshots are not hosted here so that makes no difference. The two other websites I host here are really-really low traffic, will hardly make a dent...

Mentor

The move is complete now. We are running from the new server 100%. The site seems to be faster for me checking from a remote location.

It seems faster to me.

Thanks Cloverm! ;D

It seems faster to me too.

That's +1 karma for you!

I have to agree. What was that web host providing anyways!?!!?!

:-\
    I use phpwebhosting, they seem to be fine...

Great job with the server move! It is definitely faster than before!