Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

What does 'locate network grep howto' do?

Thread: What does 'locate network grep howto' do?

Associate

What does 'locate network grep howto' do?

Hope this isn't silly but accidentally did:
    locate network grep howto

(In fact did: 'locate network \ grep howto' but the above seems to give the same result.)

The result is, apparently: locate prints out everything with network in it and then is printed the recursive contents of the home directory for everything with 'howto' in it. The working directory is the home directory.

Just wondering if this is interesting in any way. How is bash interpreting the command?

Thanks any help.

Re:What does 'locate network grep howto' do?

Well I think what you wanted to do was:

Code:
    locate network | grep howto
    This code differs from yours by a character. Its the PIPE command and it is accomplished by doing a shift backslash. You want to pipe the contents of the locate sommand into grep to get something useful.

Not sure why but it seems as though bash is interpretting those as 2 seperate commands with nothing delineating them. Kinda wierd. This is of course not concrete, I may very well be wrong with this so, please if someone else knows, chime in.

Remember to do a updatedb before locating. I like to put that in my crontab for every midnight:
    Code:
    0 0 * * * /usr/bin/updatedb

[quote author=countach44 link=board=9;threadid=8919;start=0#msg80528 date=1080362679]
    Remember to do a updatedb before locating. I like to put that in my crontab for every midnight:
    Code:
    0 0 * * * /usr/bin/updatedb
    [/quote]

Good idea to put `updatedb` in the crontab. Thanks for the idea!

Only problem: your hard drive will start making noises every midnight.

[quote author=countach44 link=board=9;threadid=8919;start=0#msg80541 date=1080413371]
    Only problem: your hard drive will start making noises every midnight.
    [/quote]

Even if your computer is off? ???

If the computer is off, no it will not start making noises, the updatedb will not run, it kinda requires the computer to run...

I'd say midnight is a bad time though. Go with like 7 am. Midnight you easily could still be up during. 4 am once in a while you might still be up.

7 am if you're up it's probably not for computer use. Or just set it to go midday on weekdays while your in class, and at 7 am on weekends.

Yeah midnight is a bad time, lots of times I forgot I had that in the crontab and heard my hardrive clicking while I was doing something like text editing.