Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

questions re: gnome + browser fonts.

Thread: questions re: gnome + browser fonts.

questions re: gnome + browser fonts.

Hi guys.
    I have a question about installing icons in Gnome. After going into theme preferences, and theme details, I try to install noia icons, but after specifying the location, the icons won't install (window borders work fine btw). I think I read that the file has to be tar.gz, but the icons I want to install are tar.bz2. is this why? and how do I convert it to tar.gz.

Also, I want to start using the Opera browser, but the fonts are really ugly, both the mainbar fonts and on websites...how do I go about changing them?

Thank you
    Dswissmiss

edit: gaim looks really ugly too, is this just the program or can I somehow change the fonts too?

Re:questions re: gnome + browser fonts.

hello,
    1. do a bunzip2 package.tar.bz then do a gzip package.tar - the package will then be a tar.gz

2 & 3 - i am not sure, try to make sure you have all the fonts installed and have configured them.

Thanx...but it still didn't work, I guess it's a problem with the file then.
    Know of any good places to download Gnome Icon sets from?

Good Guru

art.gnome.org

What distro are you using? Crappy fonts sounds like you're either not linking to libfreetype, or not using xft. Let us know which distro and hopefully someone will know how to get those on your system.

As for icons, if you're using Gnome you can use file-roller to extract the contents of an archive. I've found a small bug in Gnome that won't install icons via drag-n-drop (like you can with gtk and metacity themes). Instead, you have to unzip the package (like I said, use file-roller), and then move it to ~/.icons/ (that's /home/username/.icons/ ). Then you should be able to use the icons.

I'm running Libranet 2.8.1, and installed some fonts using Xadminmenu, I beleive they were libfreetype. Btw, Mozilla and Firefox look great, it just seems like some programs arent using the right fonts.

As for the icons, I finally got them installed! I came to the same conclusion last night after going into the .theme folder, and finding the unzipped icon folder, which I then moved to the .icon folder. This is a lot of fun so far, it's the longest I've ever stuck to linux

thank you!
    dswissmiss

If some apps look great, then you have libfreetype on your system. It probably means that some apps aren't using xft (a font server for X). What's strange is that I was under the impression that gtk used xft by default.

Do the fonts actually look bad (ie, chunky and messy), or are they just the wrong fonts (Sans instead of Serif, etc...)? If you go Applications->Preferences->Fonts you can change your default fonts, which might solve the problem (I use Bitstream Vera Sans for everything, and I think it's beautiful).

Do you have synaptic installed? It's a graphical package manager. If not, google for it and put it on (it's really handy), and then search your package list for xft. See if anything looks like it might fix the problem.